Favourite astronomy book?

Hi folks, I've got a very modest astronomy library, barely a dozen books, mostly 'practical' guides and general texts, atlases/observing/photography, etc. I'm just wondering what the more widely read amongst you might consider your favourite, or perhaps even 'the best' (?!?!?!), book on astronomy might be? It doesn't need to be a particularly recent book and may be as general or as narrow and specific in terms of subject matter .... I'm just interested in what folk's favourite astronomy reads are, and I may consider expanding my library accordingly a wee bit more ..... :D Many thanks, Donald

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My personal favorite is probably out of print now. It's title is "The Light Hearted Astronomer" by Ken Fulton.

It's a very "human" look at the hobby of astronomy and, although written some years ago, I feel it still provides a good insight into the realities of the hobby, with a humorous touch.

Actually Amazon still lists it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Light-Hearted-Astronomer-Ken-Fulton/dp/0913135011

Kauffman's Universe. It's an undergraduate textbook but aimed at undergraduates who may not be main subject scientists. It is a serious book but astonishingly approachable with the mathematical treatments of a topic sectioned off so that you can go through or not as you prefer. Its range is huge, from the solar system to cosmology. The graphics are brilliant. Remarkably difficult ideas unfravel nicely in my poor brain. I love this book and met it while following UCLAN distance learning courses.

Olly

Kauffman's Universe.. .............................................................................................

I love this book and met it while following UCLAN distance learning courses.

Olly

Me too, combined with My Phillips atlas of the Universe I get lots of reading pleasure.

I also find my way to Observing the Solar System - Gerald North pretty often too.

Magnificent Desolation,by Buzz Aldrin really is a great read. I was not his biggest fan before i read the book, but the guy poured his heart out and i found respect for him through reading it.

Before i read it i always considered him a grumpy old man who was never happy with being the 2nd man on the moon. That part of the book plays a small role in the over all book.

I have several favorites, but first and formost would have to be a little pocket book which always travels with my eyepiece case. A 1934 vintage copy of.............

" Field Book Of The Skies " - by William Tyler Olcott and Edmund W. Putnam

post-21902-0-43766100-1364761483_thumb.j

Mapping the Universe by Paul Murdin, beautiful put together book, from early astronomy from the stone age to galileo, to today..........plus its brilliantly illustrated throughout, plus loads of little documents to read, which is pretty cool......... :smiley:

I have read a couple of good books recently, my favourite was Mike Brown's 'How I Killed Pluto, and Why It Had It Coming' a brilliant book on the discovery of Eris and how this changed views about the 9th planet (Resolution 6a Prague 2006 IAU etc), the book is a good easy book to read, very humorous and told with great candour. I now know more about the outer solar system than I ever did before. And also, being originally from the City of Bath I read the William Herschel story 'The Georgian Star', another great story of discovery, I also visited the Herschel Museum in Bath. I was also inspired to read 'Memoir and Correspondence of Caroline Herschel', a book I enjoyed very much, Caroline's contribution to astronomy is very much eclipsed by her brothers achievements I think.

My favourite and a great overall no nonsense guide is The Backyard Astronomer's Guide by Dickinson and Dyer. I'm surprised it is not referred to more often on this forum. I think it is by far the best overall intro to the hobby - if that's what you want

Interesting little thread this, so i thought i'd add my 2 peneth worth. One of my favourite reads is "The Backyard Astronomer's Guide" (3rd edition) by Terence Dickinson & Alan Dyer. I got it as a present for my birthday last year, it contains shed loads of info for everyone from beginner to experienced.

My favourite and a great overall no nonsense guide is The Backyard Astronomer's Guide by Dickinson and Dyer. I'm surprised it is not referred to more often on this forum. I think it is by far the best overall intro to the hobby - if that's what you want

you beat me to it lol....

This is my favorite, sparked me into buying a scope and exploring the universe. Probably also available in english.

post-21384-0-06033200-1365009082_thumb.j

Yes, its also available in English. I bought a copy when "Borders" books stores were going out of business. There is a tremendous amount of information in the book. The only difference with the English version is the size, for some reason its HUGE and takes up half of my coffee table.

post-21902-0-19813900-1365016058_thumb.j

Archived