Hello from a chilly Ayrshire

Nogbad

Been interested in astonomy since I was a kid back in the 60s. There was a couple of Patrick Moore books at school which I read avidly.

Now many years later I received a telescope for my birthday from the family and so I guess I have been dunked into the deep end. I have a pristine Skywatcher 150p EQ3. I think I have set it up correctly although whether the collimation thing is entirely right or not I'm not sure...it seemed pretty much set up out of the box. Tried fine tuning it but I think i ended up back where I started. If the temperature and wind would stop impersonating the Arctic I might better put it to the test. I'm keen to have look at the planets and nebulae but I'm not entirely sure what the capabilities of the telscope are. I may be back with questions :)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello and welcome to SGL.

Good luck with the new scope, that is a good make and should suit you well - most come out of the box pretty well collimated so you should be OK for a while. As to questions, just find the right part of the forum and ask away, we are a friendly bunch who like to pass on what knowledge we have acquired (usually from others on the forum!)

Hi welcome aboard, I have the 130 and can see quite a bit more than I thought I would. 150 is a fair aperture and you will have no problems with galaxies and nebulea aka fuzzies or Deep Sky Objects (DSO).

Good luck and clear skies.

good luck, wrap up warm and have fun . the 150 is a very good scope . get stelarium for your pc/laptop its free and will help you discover the night sky .http://www.stellarium.org also join a local astronomy group as the only thing better than the night sky is viewing it with like minded people who usally have bigger scopes etc and so is an excellent way of starting apeture fever :grin:

Hi and welcome to SGL from East Anglia. If the weather improves try to get a look at Jupiter this month before it gets too low in the west and next month Saturn should be at its best. If you like planets Saturn visually is as good as it gets!

Hi Nogbad, welcome to the lounge, I wish someone would give me a nice scope like that,

hopefully the sky's will clear soon, let us all know how you get on.

Good Luck and Clear Sky's

Archived