Hi from s. Wales

Bowlad

Hi all.

Addicted newbie here after my first viewing of the moon and Jupiter last night with my 8 inch dobsonian skywatcher. Really impressed with it.

When it was on order I bought a tmb planetary 11 eyepiece ready for when it arrived but the 25 and 10 mill were really quite satisfactory.

First target was the moon with the 10mill. Really impressed then coupled up with the x2 Barlow expecting hi mag but poor image.............

Could not believe the the detail. Nudged the dob a bit and just stood there watching it again taking in the detail.

Panned over to the right, took out the Barlow and viewed Jupiter.

It was about the size of a pea in the eyepiece, the cloud bands were sharp and all four moons wre visible.

Tried to find orions nebula but had no luck. Maybe a stellarium download with guide me in.

For the first night of viewing I was really impressed with the dob. Worth every penny.

Next clear night.......... Hello Saturn.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, Bowlad, and welcome to SGL! Congrats on a successful first light. As well as 'Stellarium' I would also recommend the book 'Turn Left at Orion' which will give very helpful guides to finding a number of sky objects at different times of the year.

Martin

Welcome Bowlad - you're hooked! I can also recommend Turn Left at Orion or download Moore's winter marathon from the BBC Sky at Night website. This guides you to few winter objects - although (perhaps) winter will be gone soon!

Have fun!

Hi Bowlad and welcome to the forum. Congratulations on getting your scope and I agree with you that the standard eyepieces aren't that bad and certainly an improvement on the jam jars that used to be supplied.

Clear skies for the next session and hope you enjoy the forum

James

Thanks everyone for the tips and warm welcome.

I also took a nice pic of the moon lastnight just by holding my iphone to the eyepiece. It wernt a bad pic.

When I'm able to post pics ill put it on.

Thanks again everyone.

Archived