Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Atik 314L+ with ED80 questions

kingboya

• 2 months later...

A big thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. Have just ordered my 314 with EFW, LRGB, NB and all the adapters and spacers mentioned here. Would have been a very long journey sorting all this lot out without this forum.

• Like 1

It is indeed a great thread! Which filters did you order and did you go for the motorised wheel? I am a little unsure of which filters are included in the FLO bundle? Are they the cheapest ones? Which NB filters did you buy?

I am pretty certain I am going for a 314L as well, it seems to do all the things I want and as long as the wheel and filters are good I can upgrade the camera later without too much of a hit if needed. I am going to wait until nights start to pull in; before long it wont be possible to do AP until midnight this time of year.

• Like 1

It is indeed a great thread! Which filters did you order and did you go for the motorised wheel? I am a little unsure of which filters are included in the FLO bundle? Are they the cheapest ones? Which NB filters did you buy?

I am pretty certain I am going for a 314L as well, it seems to do all the things I want and as long as the wheel and filters are good I can upgrade the camera later without too much of a hit if needed. I am going to wait until nights start to pull in; before long it wont be possible to do AP until midnight this time of year.

I went for the LRGB Baader anti reflection, motorised wheel and Baader Narrowband CCD Filters 1.25" Ha(7nm), Hb, OIII & SII.

I went for it now so i can take a few months playing with it before the "imaging season" starts proper. I did read on hear that summer is good for the milky way so maybe try my hand at that.

I went for the LRGB Baader anti reflection, motorised wheel and Baader Narrowband CCD Filters 1.25" Ha(7nm), Hb, OIII & SII.

I went for it now so i can take a few months playing with it before the "imaging season" starts proper. I did read on hear that summer is good for the milky way so maybe try my hand at that.

Cool, lots of fun in store for you then :) Hope the weather holds for you and the "imaging season" (or so it was meant to be last winter) is kind to us. Yes, milky way should be great, some fab objects in there ! :)

I was wondering which filters in the bundle are the ones sold independently on the FLO website...? Anyone know?

I will ask Martin or Steve at FLO to be sure. Either way, I am sure they are very good!

I also went for the anti-reflection.I checked the focus between them and the claim that they are very nearly parfocal is right.Using bahtinov mask and bahtinov grabber the difference was ever so slight and all fell within critical focus

I also went for the anti-reflection.I checked the focus between them and the claim that they are very nearly parfocal is right.Using bahtinov mask and bahtinov grabber the difference was ever so slight and all fell within critical focus

That's handy to know. I was hoping they would be but it seemed a little too good to be true.

I will ask Martin or Steve at FLO to be sure. Either way, I am sure they are very good!

I didn't get a clear one though, not sure if it is needed but will try without first. It isn't often mentioned on here, everyone just refers to LRGB

I didn't get a clear one though, not sure if it is needed but will try without first. It isn't often mentioned on here, everyone just refers to LRGB

A clear one would not normally be needed as it is for allowing ultraviolet or infrared light through

Why would you want a clear filter to just allow UV or IR only through guys? What would that offer?

I have asked FLO which filter set is provided and will report back here. I think is is the one you link to Richie but I just want to clarify.

Why would you want a clear filter to just allow UV or IR only through guys? What would that offer?

I have asked FLO which filter set is provided and will report back here. I think is is the one you link to Richie but I just want to clarify.

Sorry I should have been clearer It doesn't allow just UV and IR light through but also UV and IR light.The luminance filter is just an IR/UV cut filter I don't know why you want to allow UV/IR light through I imagine its more to do with scientific purposes.

Yeah they're the ones. When I got my 314 FLO added them as an option so I could order the parfocal ones as a set with the EFW2 kit.

James@FLO confirmed the filters in the bundle are the ones you link to Richie092. Happy days :) Looks like a great bundle with some nice discount over buying the bits separately I also asked James if there was any likelihood of a bundle with the 460EX as well and he thinks probably not but is going to check anyway. If not, I am 99% certain I am going for the 314L at the end of July. The 460 with filters, wheel, etc is getting on for the thick end of £3000 and thats a bit rich for me at the moment. Got to draw a line somewhere.

The 460EX would be great but tbh (and playing around on 12dstring and ccdcalc) I can get the stuff that interests me with the 314L. Its only really large stuff like M31/Rossette/NA and some other large and defuse nebula (that don't float my boat) that the 314 struggles with and I'll use my modded DSLR for those. Its a small compromise. At a later date I can flog the 314 if I outgrow it.

That said, I'll probably change my mind again come tomorrow.... :p

• Like 1

• 7 years later...

Just been glancing through this thread. Just a quick question. Why do ppl use spacers? I've been using a 314 on an ed80 for a couple of years now and it is just atik.fw.reducer. nothing else. What difference do spacers make?

12 minutes ago, valefor said:

Just been glancing through this thread. Just a quick question. Why do ppl use spacers? I've been using a 314 on an ed80 for a couple of years now and it is just atik.fw.reducer. nothing else. What difference do spacers make?

If you're using a flattener / reducer then spacing needs to be correct to avoid odd shaped stars.

Dave