SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jon Culshaw to join the Sky at Night team

starman1969

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I think its a shame, his voice annoys me.

Which one... He has a range to choose from... :) I dont mind him but I am wondering if we are going to have a regular "SPM" spot from him...

I have actually quite enjoyed the two shows so far...

Peter...

This is TV Science! Nothing, without requisite dodgy comedians... mummers, troubadours etc. etc. :p

<thinks> If the BBC did a program about... I dunno, say... Dostoyevsky - Would this be obligatory? ;)

I think the recent S@N format is *really* great. Simply no need. :)

Unless they need him as the resident "everyman" a bit like Tony Robinson on Time Team?

But I hope not, the show's only 1/2 hour long, and that's the extended edition. No room really for too much jollity.

from what i have read , he wont be doing every episode just now and then , i actually like him , his career as an impersonator shouldn't taint anyone's views of him, having someone like him on board gives you someone we can relate to as we're not all astro physicists and it will bring the younger viewers to the hobby ,

sometimes these experts rattle on as if we all know what they are talking about , at my age i pretend i know what they are talking about in the hope that eventually if i hear it enough i will.. but the youngsters need something to grip their attention and if a little comedy and impressions of someone make them watch then they are doing it right..

Imho I think a lot of folks will be looking for a new Sir PM but it ain't going to happen I'm afraid. As someone who's good at presenting and has a natural interest in astronomy John Culshaw seems a not bad choice - I'd wince a bit if they said Johnathon Ross lol.

I'm sure the program format has come to a natural stage of evolving and so far I'm not overly disappointed nor overly enthralled. Just cautiously optimistic about what's coming over the next few months - I'm sure it'll settle down to an agreeable format eventually - which'll be interesting to watch - but it's early days yet. Give them a chance I say. :)

As a sometime Physicist, much of the normal "serious" TV broadcasting (Philosophy, Politics, Economics?) passes well over my head. LOL. No explanation or simplification offered? An "alternative" viewpoint, but MAYBE if we promote the idea science is NOT "impossibly difficult", without pantomime simplification. The truly interested rise to the challenge! :)

These days, I am more enthused by Archaelogy and History.

More of a "Dr. Janana Ramirez (qv) person", these days? :cool:

As ever, science publicity is an interesting topic...

I think this is blumming dreadful news. Let's hope he doesn't do those excruciatingly embarrassing impressions of Sir Patrick. Why is it that the half wit producers of science programmes feel it needs jazzing up with an annoying comedian? They wouldn't do the same with a serious arts or history series. But for some reason they have to patronise the audience interested in science with gimmicks and popularism.

I like the man, he has genuine enthusiasm, the show certainly won't be too "dry", but he won't be going a la Top Gear and turning it into a middle age lads show either.

In many ways I think is not a great idea.

The BBC do seem to think that adding a comic/entretainer to a science program enhances it, could someone point out that it doesn't. Have a look at the much respected David Attenborough program's. Cannot recall Ken Dodd or Tommy Cooper on any helping him out.

People with no interest in Astronomy will not switch it on because Jon Culshaw is on it, people interested in Astronomy could well decide to switch off.

Still convinced that Dara O' briain isn't really a positive aspect for Star Gazing Live. When he is on then I tend to decide good time for making a coffee, grab a biscuit or whatever. Keeping it simple and entertaining is OK'ish for an absolute beginner, many of them would I still suspect prefer something more in depth, but when you have had a scope for 2-3 years you are past that stage. Star Gazing Live started 2+ years ago and if you bought a scope then and are still going then you are past this entertainment presentation aspect. To an extent the BBC fail to recognise that people progress.

I see on the BBC link that they stood him at the same scope+building as Dr Chris North.

I like the man, he has genuine enthusiasm.

I agree. Yes there was the SPM impersonation but it was in front of an audience reciting a poem about SPM. When it came to the serious stuff of observing the asteroid and knowing his way around the sky he came across as very reasonable and affable.

Just my twopence worth...........

If he is encouraged to do his SPM impressions (or any others for that matter) then it will ruin the show. If he doesn't do any impressions then he isn't needed.

Chris Lintott does a great job in making sure the experts don't get carried away with techno-babble. He always interjects on behalf of us mere mortals and keeps us on board.

The show is just too short to water it down any further.

No great like or dislike of John Culshaw as such, the problem lies with the producers who can't make their minds up what sort of program to make now SPM has gone.

There is a danger of it turning into "light entertainment" to satisfy some sort of ratings target, especially if they get a new young (compared to me) producer fresh from meeja school to jazz it up. :)

Dave

I like the concept of having a man of the people to ask the dumb question everyone is too cool to ask. I'm hoping he won't be on for his impersonations.

Good call I say!

Typed by me on my fone, using fumms... Excuse eny speling errurs.

I think it needs to be remembered that John Culshaw has been an amateur astronomer for a good while and is a member of his local astro group in north London. All the other presenters are professional scientists I believe.

I think his occasional input could work well, without to many impersonations perhaps.

In the past I have felt Jon Culshaw's SPM impressions were cringe-making, with Patrick's speech and mannerisms horrifically amplified for comedic effect. In the latest S@N the short piece Jon gave using Patrick's voice was a very much toned down and more accurate representation, and came across as a friendly and affectionate tribute. I was surprised to find it an acceptable use of Jon's impressionist talents that I would be happy to hear again on a (very!) occasional basis - as long it is strictly without a return to the "funny" version.

If he's used as an "interested everyman" then ok, he'll do as well as any, and as an amateur astronomer himself might be better than a lot, but letting / encouraging him to do comic turns would be a disaster. Better the show had died with SPM than turn into science-light entertainment.

I'm always annoyed when the BBC have guest "comics" on an otherwise scientific program as they think they have to be funny all the time to justify their place.

Regardless to your preference of presentation, weather it is 1970's Open University style or over enthusiastic Blue Peter on Speed style, why is there so little astronomy on the Beeb? They do great short runs but the rest of the year is a litle barren.

I watched it last night - I'm not keen on Jon Culshaw's impressions in an astronomy show (though the tribute was actually okay), but I felt he had a clear passion for astronomy. It was pretty clear to me that he'd spent cold nights looking through a telescope. In fact, that was what I got from all the presenters - excited curiosity, and a bit of passion.

No no no! Though for me it shall just make the show a bit shorter as I always record it first and skip past any part with Jon Culshaw in it. If I find I am skipping too much of the show I shall just stop recording it.

Still, Suzi Perry is joining the BBC's F1 team so it is not all bad news.

Archived