NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Under £200 android tablet 7"

sologuitarist61

Hi, I have decided that I would like to get an android tablet but don't have a lot of cash to spare (who does?). Any ideas on what I can get for under £200 that will be capable of running a Stellarium type app but which is also a decent piece of kit for other purposes (music, videos etc)? Have been looking at the Nexus 7 which gets good write-ups, but can only be used in the portrait format for the home screens, or so I understand. Not bothered about memory size too much as I don't watch films much, so 16gb will be more than enough.

I'm not proud, so even a good really cheap one (the ones on EBay for example) will do if it has the facilities and has your recommendation :grin:

many thanks

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got a Nexus 7 and I really like it :-) The home screens will now work in landscape too :-)

I've just got mine set up to talk to my mount through skysafari with a £25 bluetooth adapter, so very happy.

Helen

I got one of these. I think they're superseded now.

http://www.zenithink.com/Eproducts_C91_2.php

A bit quirky but does what it says on the tin.

Mine hasn't got built in 3g but will connect via a 3g dongle ( has to be the right one) and works real well with wiFi (built in)

I run tons of apps on mine including SkySafari Pro. It's taken some doing to get BBC iPlayer to run - a known flaw but I got there in the end.

It cost about £150 with a 16Gb card and comes with 8Gb internal memory.

An iPad it is not. Cheap is what it is and it does everything I want so suits me :)

Have a Galaxy Tab 10.1 with ICS (Android 4.0) installed....excellent tablet, fast processor and enough storage..I have a dropbox account and find this is perfect for the storage of files etc and the Tablet connects via either wireless or by connecting via my HTC One X which also operates ICS...

You can get the same as mine for about £250 new now, well worth the investment.

I've the nexus 7 aswel 32gb which was under £200 (by £2). I'm sure I read somewhere they are redesigning it though with a far better display so you might want to do some research if you are able to wait for a while. The display is absolutely fine but it is slightly muted in comparison to the IPad but then again its half the price and I much prefer the operating system to be honest (I've got apple and android gear so no real axe to grind with either)

Thanks everyone and thank you Helen for telling me that the Nexus 7 now works in landscape format as well, that wasn't mentioned in any of the review that I read.

I got one of these. I think they're superseded now.

http://www.zenithink...ducts_C91_2.php

A bit quirky but does what it says on the tin.

Mine hasn't got built in 3g but will connect via a 3g dongle ( has to be the right one) and works real well with wiFi (built in)

I run tons of apps on mine including SkySafari Pro. It's taken some doing to get BBC iPlayer to run - a known flaw but I got there in the end.

It cost about £150 with a 16Gb card and comes with 8Gb internal memory.

An iPad it is not. Cheap is what it is and it does everything I want so suits me :)

Thanks Paul hadn't come across that one, will look into it.

Nexus 7 all the way. I researched long and hard before buying mine last year and, in my opinion, it is by far the best in the 7" market.

Usually ebuyer has as good as a price you will find and free next day dleivery. For comparison, I bought my phone direct off Google Play (no other choice!) and they charge about £10 postage.

Nexus 7 all the way. I researched long and hard before buying mine last year and, in my opinion, it is by far the best in the 7" market.

Usually ebuyer has as good as a price you will find and free next day dleivery. For comparison, I bought my phone direct off Google Play (no other choice!) and they charge about £10 postage.

Yep I paid the same £10 for postage but still saved £50 on the two units

I'm afraid I've had a bad experience with a Nexus7 - I bought one for Xmas and the Wifi connectivity was realy "flakey" - kept dropping in and out and couldn't keep a Wifi connection for longer than 2 or 3 minutes. Tried it on 3 different broadband routers and it was the same on all of them - so we know it was the Nexus7 at fault and not the router. If you Google "Nexus 7 wifi problems" you will see quite a lot of people have experienced similar problems .... however the fact that so many people here have recommended it would seem to indicate that maybe the problem has been fixed. Luckily I managed to get a full refund (from HMV, the week before they went into administration - phew!).

I noticed in the paper over the weekend that there are 3 or 4 new 7" tablets going to be released imminently - and the one from ASUS looks stunning.... so I might hold out for that one ...

Ive just bought, and received today a

7" CAPACITIVE MULTI TOUCH ANDROID 4.0 ALL WINNER A13 TABLET PC NETBOOK M... For £50 i think its a bargsin

http://bit.ly/ZLAXTB

Ive never used android before, but seems to be an alright little gadget. Uses the play store to download your apps and all seems to work well

I saw this one on Amazon and there are 207 reviews and all are positive "A1CS FUSION5 9.1" ECONOMY+ TABLET PC - CAPACITIVE 5-POINT 9.1-inch DISPLAY SCREEN - ANDROID 4.0 ICS - 16:9 SCREEN RESOLUTION - SLIMMEST VERSION CHEAPE" for less than £80 thought it might be worth a punt

Seeing as no one has mentioned it the Nexus 7 storage is unlimited.

Get a USB OTG cable, as many USB sticks as you like or even use a card reader, the use the app Nexus Media Importer and away you go for extra films, photos etc. Even connect a keyboard if you don't want to use the bluetooth.

Had mine since November and love it. Got from carphone warehouse who undercut everyone at the time £279 for 32gb.

The nexus is the one. You can use custom ROMs and firmware on these to improve setting features and performance. There are various developer websites but try XDA. I use this for my galaxy nexus 3 phone. You should be able to update to latest jelly bean firm ware.

Also there is a nexus 10 just been launched but for me the 7 is the more user friendly of all the tabs.

Archived