Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is it me or what?

It seemed to be a clear night tonite but I had difficulty focusing with the higher power eye pieces. Was it just me having a moment or was the viewing not that good tonite?

I was using SW127 with an 8mm, my 15mm seemed to give a better image.

I can see stars tonight but the actual seeing through the scope is pretty poor. I had some nice views of Jupiter around twilight but it's not been good here since then. Too murky for deep sky objects as well.

same here too. I picked tonight to rough test my 'new' (had it since October) 12" f4 (used obviously) newt for which I made a dob base at the weekend. all I proved was that I can just squeeze the Pleiades in the field of view which is nice at low power, that a paracorr cleans up the view markedly and that tonight, even 100x was not achievable on Jupiter. shocking really.

Same here (Essex) I was looking forward to a nice evening under the stars, but it was very murky, and the seeing (turbulence) was poor too.

Gave up on deep sky, I caught the GRS on Jupiter, and the beginning of Io's transit at 21.32, but the view was iffy, due to the turbulent atmosphere.

Came in for a cuppa.

Regards, Ed.

Been the same here and was absolutely gutted. Had ordered some bits from FLO (Cheshire, variable moon filter and 7mm Celestron X-Cel eyepiece), and decided to have a dabble at collimation after dragging the scope in and out over the past few months then go out and try the new eye piece. Starting with the standard 25mm that came supplied things looked ok, but not great. Was worried I may have got collimation wrong, but after taking a few minutes and focusing on Jupiter decided that conditions were just not up to it.

Anti-cyclonic crud is the best description. Last night was also not that good though mainly unsteady. But the previous night was surprisingly clear and pretty steady. And we will soon have rain to clear it out - then maybe some more clear, cold nights - or not!

Pretty murky here in Coventry still, although satellite pics show the high thin cloud moving away. it makes for poor imaging results. I tend to use nights like this to fine tune things I wouldn't want to waste a decent night on :)

Yes, I had my scopes out last night too. Both freshly collimated, the Sky Watcher was out by a country mile, and the TAL was a weensy bit awry too. Anyway, I though I had made a boob with my tweaking, but it seems that the conditions were pretty poopy. I stayed out until I could no longer feel my fingers, then gave up. :embarrassed::mad:

Yes, I had my scopes out last night too. Both freshly collimated, the Sky Watcher was out by a country mile, and the TAL was a weensy bit awry too. Anyway, I though I had made a boob with my tweaking, but it seems that the conditions were pretty poopy. I stayed out until I could no longer feel my fingers, then gave up. :embarrassed::mad:

do you mind if i ask, did you find it easy to collimate the 130 as i have same and think mine is slightly out but im a little reluctant to mess with it in case i make it worse. i have read several topics but guess it wont become clear till i try. what collimator do you use ?

sorry bit off topic

do you mind if i ask, did you find it easy to collimate the 130 as i have same and think mine is slightly out but im a little reluctant to mess with it in case i make it worse. i have read several topics but guess it wont become clear till i try. what collimator do you use ?

sorry bit off topic

To be honest, it was a real "female dog".........at one point I was ready to throw stones at it!!! I use a laser collimator, starting off by getting the laser spot in the middle of the primary mirror circle, then fine tune it from there.

Lovely and clear here today all day until this evening. Got an hour and a half in Max before high,light but full cover cloud kicked in. Can't complain too much as I have managed something on 3 of the last 4 nights, don't think that will last though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Started off a really warm sunny day but quite hazy - still, some promise there.

Got to 19:00 and the seeing is very poor and there's cloud stalking the haze (here in 'deepest darkest' mid-Wales).

Can't complain really - last 5 nights have been clear - slightly hazy, but clear.

Archived