Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

14"/360mm truss dob

Rustysplit

Beautiful Piece of woodwork and Engineering and an inspiration. I shall be making my own soon in my very modest garage workshop combining my love of both hobbies. Extremely well done and get ready for all those questions.

Damian

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Alan,

That is a really excellent piece of work, I take my hat off to you, well done. Are you taking orders yet?

BTW judging by the picture on page 3 you must have one of the best equiped garges in the UK, I thought I had some tools until I saw that.

Alan P

• 4 months later...

Thanks Skygibbon. I am going to use a 69mm MA flat. The focuser is a low profile one, so it should be fine.

Hello Alan,

Where about's did you get the steel strip for the spider vanes? Did you cut it from 16gauge 22gauge sheet or buy it as strip as I've looked all over and cannot seem to find any?

Today I cut the stainless steel washer and trial fitted the vanes. I also made up the vane connectors.....

file-64.jpg

file-66.jpg

file-65.jpg

The vanes are cut from some old stainless steel kick plate that is hanging around the workshop from a reception desk job. The thickness is about 1mm.

Thanks for the reply and I thought you'd cut them out of some plate.I shall have a look for some

I have struggled for ages to find some suitable steel for the spider vanes of my homemade scope. I finally stumbled upon stainless steel engineering rulers that hopefully will do the trick. They're currently on order, so I will find out soon enough.

Archived