Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

14"/360mm truss dob

Rustysplit

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the kind comments guys. But to be fair Shane, it is not a fantastic scope yet. It could all be style over substance for all I know :grin:

I was going to stain it black initially, but now I rather like the natural look.I might just stain the parts that need to be black and leave the rest as is.

I will try and get some more pics next week, but work is hectic at the moment, so may not get any more done for a bit. I need to find time to start figuring the mirror as well :shocked:

Gary, I used aluminiumwarehouse.co.uk

The size I went for is 3/4 x 16swg. The trial fitting showed it to be lovely and rigid, and it still has about 200m to come off it yet, so I think perfectly fine for an f5scope. My tubes will be about 1450mm long iirc.

That's a handsome looking pile of timber. I'm in the process of purchasing all the necessary bits for my own truss dob (i've bought a nice 12" mirror) where did you get your ali poles from and what gauge have you used.

Gary.

Gary check out TV aerial masts in B&Q. There are different diameters but the 1 inch ones have a very thin wall so you won't add too much forward weight to the assembly which will make it easier to balance out.

I used 6 rather than 8 poles to further reduce the front loading and keep the CoG that much lower.

post-14748-0-76593700-1365792697_thumb.j post-14748-0-17629200-1365792728_thumb.j

Gary check out TV aerial masts in B&Q. There are different diameters but the 1 inch ones have a very thin wall so you won't add too much forward weight to the assembly which will make it easier to balance out.

I used 6 rather than 8 poles to further reduce the front loading and keep the CoG that much lower.

post-14748-0-76593700-1365792697_thumb.j post-14748-0-17629200-1365792728_thumb.j

Thanks, I'll have a look.

Alan, Rather than two securing screws can you not substitute a clamp bar arrangement such that each tube has a hole or slot near one (or both) ends into which the clamp is fitted and a single knob tightens both in place?

aka: post-14748-0-34416100-1366046729_thumb.j

Just a thought...

the clamps look great. I'd recommend a slightly longer handwheel to allow for less finger tip tightening. I am considering making my next ones with quick release clamps similar to push bike wheels a bit like these

quick_release_10762S.jpg

and maybe even some of these at the bottom

6355.jpg

Francis/Steve The whole 8 truss tubes will remain attached together, so that I have 4 handwheels to tighten top and bottom. I have to thank Shane for that idea!

Shane, I looked at those too. I am trying to really keep the weight down at the top as my mirror is so thin and light. I think they are a great solution though for the uta fixing.

the clamps look great. I'd recommend a slightly longer handwheel to allow for less finger tip tightening. I am considering making my next ones with quick release clamps similar to push bike wheels a bit like these

quick_release_10762S.jpg

and maybe even some of these at the bottom

6355.jpg

I was given a set of these with the mirror I recently bought, along the same lines. http://www.astrosystems.biz/utlltl.htm

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I have made some real progress with this now. I picked up my self ground mirror last week, and managed to get the not yet finished scope together to be able to test it.

20130505_193547_zps456cf54b.jpg

20130505_193520_zpsf6e87807.jpg

The woodwork is unfinished as yet, and a shroud is in the pipeline. I knew from the start that the very light primary combined with a tiny mirror box would cause balance issues, it does, but there is room at the rear of the mirror cell to add a ballast weight. We tried it out last night and with a little extra help from a bungee cord, it works!!

The mirror has turned out very nicely, and with a little tweaking of the friction loadings, the scope works as expected. It all packs into the boot of the car in 1 stack, with just the truss tubes inside the car.

I will post more detailed pics when I have taken it apart and lacquered it all.

Cheers Steve. It all happened in a bit of a flurry. It is gonna be hard to take it all apart again now!! It has to be done though. This will mean I can get up to RC easily. Looking forward to it and meeting you, and giving you those beers :wink2:

What an amazing achievement for someone who has not ground their own mirror before! I am totally stunned. Can't believe you have made this so quickly.

I'm trying to find a solution to smoothing the rough edges of my 14" blank without losing the circular shape and I'll be off myself.. Barkis (Ron) will be ashamed that I have't yet got round to grinding it....:D

Archived