Thank goodness for my bins!

kirkster501

You can have the best scope and imaging rig in the world. But if it keeps clouding (i.e. 99% of time in UK) over its as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike.

My 15x70 Helios Apollos. Thank goodness I got them! They are wonderful. If anyone is on the fence about buying some dont hesitate for a moment. They are wonderful. I am at least getting some observing in if only in 15 minute chunks. btw - they are wonderful.

Rgds, Steve

P.S. They are wonderful.

Totally agree: the Helios Apollo 15x70s are great.

They are unbelievably fabulous. Don't know what I'd do without them with our Rubbish weather. Thanks to Steve and Michael for recommending them to me! :) They are the first thing I reach for. I actually find that when seated I can hand hold them surprisingly well. I can kind of support the weight on my face if the object is higher than 45% and it works surprisingly well.

@stargazerslivingroom

Yes, FLO swapped it out for me - it was faulty and the pressure plates had been factory tightened by a 4 ton gorilla instead of applying delicate pressure.

Just in from being out with the 15x70s.......2 minute set up, sun lounger, headphones on random, take off.........with a bit of practice, hand-holding is good enough and gives a great sense of freedom.

Much as I enjoy my SCT, I do like the simplicity of Bins.

One view I enjoyed tonight was seeing the sky against the context of the roof tops and trees, always get such a feeling of depth of field.

That's what the 4º field gives you......context.

I actually find that when seated I can hand hold them surprisingly well. I can kind of support the weight on my face if the object is higher than 45% and it works surprisingly well.
I find exactly the same; they are much steadier than the much lighter "budget" 15x70. I think it must be inertia due to the greater mass.

(PS Previous comment was meant to be a witticism. Forgot Smiley. :smiley: )

Got home later last night after a 4 hour drive home from Scotland. Sky looked clear (although a bit hazy) but I really couldn't face setting up a whole rig, so just went outside with my 10x50s. Had a great half hour checking up old friends like m42 and the double cluster. Thats the joy of bins for me - no fuss, and no guilt about otherwise missing out on a session.

Might check out these 15x70s though - sound very good.

Got home later last night after a 4 hour drive home from Scotland. Sky looked clear (although a bit hazy) but I really couldn't face setting up a whole rig, so just went outside with my 10x50s. Had a great half hour checking up old friends like m42 and the double cluster. Thats the joy of bins for me - no fuss, and no guilt about otherwise missing out on a session.

Might check out these 15x70s though - sound very good.

Absolutely. That's the beauty of bins, pick 'em up and your observing. I have been using bins for 35 years now but none have come close to the majesty of the 15x70's Helios Apollo's.

In my case the bins have competition not just from the SCT, but also from my (superb) APM 80mm F/6 triplet. For wide field it actually beats the 15x70 bins (even the Apollo), with a massive 5.3 deg FOV at 15.5x. Last summer in France I had brought along all the kit, and the one piece not used was the 80mm, not the 15x70. Speed of set-up is the key.

I try and stick to the coffee now.....one glass would turn into a bottle, with every chance of waking up at 4.00am covered in frost.

Well, a brandy (or five) keeps the cold away :)

Back to the bins. These were fabulous roaming through the galaxy fields in Leo/Virgo/ComaB on Saturday. Not Hubble views by any means but could tell they were definitely not stars.

Well, a brandy (or five) keeps the cold away :)

Back to the bins. These were fabulous roaming through the galaxy fields in Leo/Virgo/ComaB on Saturday. Not Hubble views by any means but could tell they were definitely not stars.

Finally ordered a pair of TS Marine 15x70s [Apollo] arriving Thursday, along with a bucket load of rain.

Had been dithering between them or a big pair of Quantum 25x100, which I used to own and wish i hadn't sold now, but the difference in price £300 or £1600 coupled with the recent dodgy weather made the choice for me.

Maybe if I retire to the Med I'll get a pair of Quantums and pier mount them on the deck.......they really are good....I'd love to try 'em with Panoptics.

Good luck with the TS Marines. Should be great for PanStarrs!

I had a lovely session with my Helios Apollos recently, detailed here:

I think this really shows how much you can see with these big bins without any real set-up time. A 25x100 is a beast of an instrument which requires as much setup time a my wide field scope (but with a smaller FOV)

I was assembling my EQ5 mount last night ready for the weekend. When I went out to the garage for some bolts I could see some stars so I dived back into the house for my bino's, only there a few minutes when the fog rolled in and obscured all but the stars directly overhead. So much of the night sky is fuzzy until you get the bino's out, get more use than any other optical equipment that I own.

Archived