Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Saturn and its Moons

luigis

Hi All,

I took this image yesterday February 21 from my home using a Symax 127 (5'' Mak). The adqusition was done with a Canon 550D in 640x480 @60fps crop video mode.

Aligned and stacked with Autostakkert!, wavelets applied in Registax and final touch with PS.

For the satellites I took an extra exposure at ISO6400 and 2'' of exposure.

Mimas and Enceladus were too close to the planet to be seen.

jM_e_EOSREBELT2i1332_labels_zpsc2582e82.jpg

Saturn is looking good this year.

Thanks!

Luis

Luis

Brilliant pic

I can't wait to have a go at Saturn with my Mak 127, never thought of using a Dslr, did you use any barlows too?

See your a Packers fan, I'm a very sad Raiders fan myself!!

Go cheeseheads!

Yelsac

That really is a stunning picture you have got there. Amazing what you can achieve with a DSLR.

Thank you! The DSLRS with a video crop mode really have little difference compared to a DMK-style camera and you don't need a computer to shoot or filters.

Saturn certainly is looking good...Especially in your photo. Lovely image with the moons.

Congratulations

Steve

Thank you Steve, the rings are nicely opened this season, hope the view gets even better by April.

Just checked out your website, Luis....Some lovely shots there, too.

Nice to see a southern hemisphere sky.

Do you have any images of M83 I wonder?

Steve

Thanks! I have M83 on my to-do list, I haven't ventured into galaxies yet but maybe I will soon :-)

Luis

Brilliant pic

I can't wait to have a go at Saturn with my Mak 127, never thought of using a Dslr, did you use any barlows too?

See your a Packers fan, I'm a very sad Raiders fan myself!!

Go cheeseheads!

Yelsac

Thanks!

The Mak is really a wonderful tool for planetary images.

Yes I often use a 2x Celestron Barlow or a 4x barlow depending on the seeing.

I hope your raiders bounce back from the recent draft disasters!

Thank you! The DSLRS with a video crop mode really have little difference compared to a DMK-style camera and you don't need a computer to shoot or filters.

Thank you Steve, the rings are nicely opened this season, hope the view gets even better by April.

Thanks! I have M83 on my to-do list, I haven't ventured into galaxies yet but maybe I will soon :-)

Thanks!

The Mak is really a wonderful tool for planetary images.

Yes I often use a 2x Celestron Barlow or a 4x barlow depending on the seeing.

I hope your raiders bounce back from the recent draft disasters!

Yeh I hope so too but pretty unlikely!!!!

With regards to the settings you used on your 550d, I've got a fairly basic Canon 1100d (rebel T3) model.

I looked at changing the Movie record size but all the choices I have are 1280x720 at either 25 or 30fps do you think that would work?

Also I can't seem to find the crop mode you were talking about, mind you it might not be on this model.

Yelsac

Thanks again!

Interested to know if you used software like Backyard EOS to control the camera or did you shoot without a computer?

Just the camera. There's a video crop mode in the 550D, 60D & 60Da that uses the central pixels of the sensor for a 7x magnification, it shoots at 640x480 60fps using real pixels. The other Canon cameras either don't have this mode or if they have it is just an interpolation of the video-hd mode (not real pixels).

That's why the 550D, the 60D and the 60Da are excellent cameras for portable planetary work, you don't need a computer to shoot.

Yeh I hope so too but pretty unlikely!!!!

With regards to the settings you used on your 550d, I've got a fairly basic Canon 1100d (rebel T3) model.

I looked at changing the Movie record size but all the choices I have are 1280x720 at either 25 or 30fps do you think that would work?

Also I can't seem to find the crop mode you were talking about, mind you it might not be on this model.

Yelsac

See my reply above, the 1100 doesn't have this mode. Don't worry you can still use BackyardEOS to record movies from live-view for planetary work. BYE will produce an AVI file that you can stack with Autostakkert! or Registax directly.

Thanks again!

Just the camera. There's a video crop mode in the 550D, 60D & 60Da that uses the central pixels of the sensor for a 7x magnification, it shoots at 640x480 60fps using real pixels. The other Canon cameras either don't have this mode or if they have it is just an interpolation of the video-hd mode (not real pixels).

That's why the 550D, the 60D and the 60Da are excellent cameras for portable planetary work, you don't need a computer to shoot.

See my reply above, the 1100 doesn't have this mode. Don't worry you can still use BackyardEOS to record movies from live-view for planetary work. BYE will produce an AVI file that you can stack with Autostakkert! or Registax directly.

looked at your website really stunning images

Have you tried to image Jupiter like Saturn

• 2 weeks later...

Archived