2lexx

Hallo Everybody.

I am due to retire soon and thinking of renewing my interest in astronomy, as a hobby,

and would welcome more experienced members views on start-up equipment. I have

seen a Celestron Skyprodigy 70 and wondered if this would be suitable.

Anticipating any responses.

2lexx.

Hi,

Welcome to SGL 2lexx. Very difficult to advise you on what scope to go for, it really depends on what you want to do in astronomy. What I would advise is look up on the internet what astronomy club is close to you and pay them a visit, they will probably have scopes set up for different things, and you would get a better idea of which way you want to go with face to face help and advice.

Grant...

Cornwall....

Hi 21exx and welcome to SGL, I did not know that Celestron were doing a 70mm version, but regardless, it could turn out to be an awful lot of money for a small aperture scope, with smart electronic control. However, I am sure by the time this thread has run its course, you will have a lot of alternative suggestions, if not reposting in the Help and advise Sections may bring you a better response :)

John.

Hello and welcome to SGL 2lexx :)

The key thing is, what do you wish to look at as different scopes can be more suited to different things. I must say, I'm not familiar with the scope you've mentioned but might I suggest that if it is 70mm aperture, it would be ok for the moon and perhaps brighter planets and deep space objects under darkish skies, but you might struggle otherwise. Depending on budget/size/weight/storage space/portability/ease of use etc a smaller Dobsonian or Newtonian might be more worthwhile?

Thats not to say a small refractor wont be any good, but you tend to get more aperture for your cash with a reflector.

Good luck in whatever you choose :)

Welcome to SGL

it could turn out to be an awful lot of money for a small aperture scope, with smart electronic control.

That's my opinion too. I'd suggest that there are better ways to spend the money, but it depends what you're after.

James

Well, thank you to everyone who replied and your information. For information purposes

my initial interest will mainly be directed at lunar and planetary observation, but I like the

advice to contact a local club so, think, that will be my first port of call.

There seemed to be a lot of technical information, with abbreviations posted, which,

I presume, are recommendations but, unfortunately, at the moment, mean nothing

to me but, hopefully, in time, will become more clearer.

Once again thank you all very much.

Archived