NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

BGO prices

Bender

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes they seem to be going the way of the humble Philips SPC900 webcam. Which went from selling on AB&S for £20 or so to then selling for £100+ once it was discontinued and stocks dried up. I see there is a BGO on today for £120.... Could have two brand new Baader Classic orthos and a decent curry takeout for that price.

I suppose the only thing it has done is change the dynamic. Before the BGO got you premium optics for £50 secondhand, capable of matching much more expensive glass. But now these new prices mean it will be competing head to head with that more expensive glass, such as Naglers, Radians, Pentax XL, Pentax XF. These all offer superb optical quality coupled with other pleasing extras, such as wide too ultra wide views, superb eye relief and nice chunks of glass. The BGO could always shrug it off with ease because of the value factor. But that's now gone. All very interesting.

Does make me wonder whether i should sell my 7mm BGO? But i think not. Doesn't used much but i when do use it i love it. :)

There will always be someone who thinks it's worth the cash, but if I were after a 9mm-ish planetary eyepiece and I wasn't happy with the view from a suitable focal length BCO then there's no way I'd pay £120 for the second-hand BGO. I'd save a little more and have something like a second hand Nagler.

James

Seems i should have held on to my BGO's, prices on ABS are already at 210 % of what they used to sell. Unfortunately there is not much of an equal replacement.

Optically the Baader Classic Orthos are at least 95% as good in my opinion. The 18mm actually has slightly better light transmission than the BGO equivalent.

They don't match the build quality of the BGO's but they didn't intend to I reckon.

I've been trying BGO's and BCO's back to back for the past few nights on some demanding targets.

I'm not surprised that the price of BGO's has sky rocketed though. The TMB Supermonocentrics did the same when they went out of production.

Bear in mind if Pentax really are cuttingg EPs the XF will get the chop. The theory is they will only retain Whats suitable for birding scopes and the XF doesnt really fit that bill. It could be another casualty.

Minimal glass EPs are really going to be a thing of the past .......the Edmund RKEs and the Brandons might be all thats left soon and Brandons wont be around forever.

Archived