Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from Essex :) need a little help on which eyepiece to buy

Ras Elased

Hi all

My names Paul and i have been a member of the SGL since 2008 but have yet to evan write 1 post, so i thought today was a good day to start :) I have a 200p Skywatcher Explorer with a HEQ5, i have owed it since 2008 aswel but have not used it as much as i would have liked, i have the 2 standard eyepieces that come with it, the 25mm and 10mm and a barlow lens. I love the telescope but find everytime i wanna use it the great British weather prevents me, and when im busy or away the stars are always gazing down (Typical!)

Anyway my girlfriend recently just bought me the celestron skymaster 20x80 binoculars and i love them, i have got alot of use out of them and they have really inspired me to start using my telescope again. i was really excited about viewing 2012 DA14 the other day but was hugely disappointed with it being really cloudy in essex but with the meteor in russia it was still a exciting day.

Ive had some really good views of the orion nebular recently and Jupiter and took some good pics using just a digital camera and a bit of sticky tape lol not the most professional but still come out with some good pics that i was quite proud about, i am now looking at upgrading my eyepieces but need a little help with what to buy, i would rather spend the money out on 1 good eyepiece that i will use all the time than to buy a few. The nebular was defiantly my highlight so a eyepiece which can view that good would be cool, thanks everyone and sorry to be longwinded!!! look forward to your posts :)

Hello Paul and welcome to SGL!! For looking at the larger Deep Sky Objects you could go for an eyepiece of around 32mm focal length - this will give you low magnification, a wide dark field of view. The 25mm eyepiece you have is reasonable but the 10mm is best replaced for better views of the Moon and planets. These are the sort of thing you should be looking at: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/celestron-eyepieces/celestron-x-cel-lx-eyepiece.html There are several makes and most suppliers would be happy to advise you.

evening Paul...from yet another Essex lad....though not a Paul ;-). you ought to stop by the Essex Cloud Dodgers on the social groups page. been out tonight for 30-40 mins. just looking at the moon, jupiter an orion, before those pesky clouds rolled in.

regards

Hi Roger, thanks for the quick reply, i had a look at the link you sent me and i've actually been on this site quite a few times to browse and just never know what would be a good ep to buy, are Celestron a good make for ep's? they only go up to a 25mm though as you mentioned a 32mm, what about Baader and vixen makes or would you recommend the Celstron one for the moment?

Hello Paul from Essex, Paul do you know of any good astro shops in essex? i've been looking around and i think London is the closest to me so far, theres one in dorking, Surrey which i might drive down to one day. Anyone been there?

Hi Paul and welcome to SGL. Have a look at the forum on eyepieces there is lots of useful info in there. I've just invested in a set of BST Explorer eyepieces which come highly recommended for the price. Just waiting for them to arrive. The Celestron Omni plossls are also recommended. All the best, Bob :laugh:

thanks all for the warm welcome :) i will check the Essex Cloud Dodgers group page out tomorrow steve, thanks for letting me know about it. Hopefully i can buy a new ep and test it out this weekend depending on weather!!!

Martin i had literally had been counting the months down to view it evan though in the back of my mind i knew it would be cloudy but i had a slight bit of hope, and then the next day it was clear! i'm now waiting for the comet in March C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) which should be cool :D

thanks knobby for your suggestion, i was looking at maybe getting a 18mm Celestron, the one from the link, http://www.firstlightoptics.com/celestron-eyepieces/celestron-x-cel-lx-eyepiece.html

do you own any of these ep yourself or had any experience with them? the 25mm i have at the mo is my favorite so i didnt know if the 18mm would be much different?

Archived