Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Brecon Beacons dark sky status

stevetynant

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If all you valleys boys and girls can turn the lights out then it might be possible to get a decent southerly sky as well from the mountain centre.... ;):)

Any hint of moisture in the air and you get that jaffa look behind Pen-y-fan....

It will bring more people in I just hope they aren't disappointed....

Peter

I met the chaps and chapesses who have been campaigning for this at a dark sky campaign meeting for another area in the UK and am very proud of them, as they gave a talk on their arduous journey to this point.. I sincerely hope this is the beginning of a trend. :)

I live in the rhymney valley Peter ,although cardiff is the best part of 20 miles away I don't bother even trying to observe to the south east it's just orange haze most of the time but still way luckier than most when I read some of the threads on this site and the beacons really are on the doorstep so I shouldn't complain really.

Although a little off the beaten path, Claerwen Reservoir appears to be a darker location,

and google earth shows toilet facilities at the large parking area below the dam.

About 6 miles to the west is Dolgoch Youth Hostle, which seems to be alone in the wilderness

with no houses around. There are a couple of 1500 foot mountains nearby, with roads or trails (not sure) that go

up to flat open areas on top. I plan to check it out this summer.

If you drive from devils bridge on the old road towards the elan reservoirs you might change your mind mike. You would not want to break down there in the middle of winter. Having said that Wales is a very small country but very diverse none the less.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I'm not sure if I get what you mean ant

But as far as I'm aware it's not going to change

To get the result people had to take photos of the sky from all over the beacons. Count stars to check its mag and use one of them light metres to take readings all over the park so it's as dark as it is (now with dark sky statue the surrounding villages might either become darker or change their lights becoming darker for publicity n visitors) so yes it's a good thing for blaenavon site as we are actually in the beacons. But I don't think we will see a serious drop as 90% of the lp is from Cardiff Swansea n newport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk please ignore any spelling typo thingys

Its good that they've got the dark sky status but I will only be heading out out that way once or twice a year for a session.At the last observing session at Blaenavon bob had his sky quality meter with him and I was surprised at what he found.A large proportion of the sky was magnitude 6 the same as the mountain center ( he spends a lot of time checking sky sky quality on his travels) I would much prefer to head out to usk reservoir the skies dont get much darker than them

Archived