A bit disappointed by my view of Jupiter

Ok I have a 10" dob but I am a little disappointed with my view of the planet

i have looked at the comparison sites showing what I should expect to see

however the views I am getting don't match what I expect.

The views I see only give 2 extremely faint bands barley visble at all I don't live bad

area for light pollution and was using a 7" celestron x-cel lx eyepiece

please don't miss understand me I don't expect visuals llike seen in mmagazines I

Know that will never happen however I did expect more than what I have seen.

your thought would be appreciated

thanks

ps the scope is collimated

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As well as being collimated the scope needs to be fully cooled down. You also need to spend time studying the planet to capture the more subtle details - I usually spend and hour or two on it, clouds allowing.

If the seeing is bad the detail visible will be much reduced. Even when the seeing is good the fine detail is only visible for very short periods now and then - maybe just a few seconds at a time. Thats why you need to spend time studying it - the more you look, the more you will see.

You may be pushing the magnification too far.

Sometimes its better to settle for a smaller more detailed view.

Try a 15 or 25mm and compare the detail, seeing varies from night to night, the 7mm will be great on exceptional nights but they are few and far between in the UK.

I agree with the previous 2 posts. My 10mm is my most used on Jupiter. If the seeing is very good I can Barlow it but usually this just makes it bigger and less sharp. I do have some light pollution. The 5mm I had that came with the scope was awful and put me off higher powers for a while.

The last few nights when it's been clear have had a lot of high haze or moisture in the air, this has had an effect on the quality of views. I've been able to see three dark bands tonight, no spot with a 10mm Pentax on the 10" dob. I think another part of the problem is that Jupiter is so bright much of the detail is washed out, maybe a ND filter would help with that..

A couple of nights back I was able to crack out my 5mm, which gave me every thing but the GRS. Not complaining, I only have a SW 130M. I have to agree with Steep, over me, there has been a lot of v. high cloud that has spoilt some of my views of Jupiter especially.

The fact that it is sitting right next to the moon probably is not helping. I have just bought my gear in and like Steep I could see 3 bands but no spot. Probably not the best seeing tonight. When the darker skies come I am sure you will notice the difference.

I find 180x good for Jupiter, but on some nights I can push up to 240x. I need to get another ep for 200x to bridge the gap.

there are so many factors that affect the view of Jupiter, some out of your control but others like collimation, quality of ep, and cool down time are under your control.

Hi, patience is the key with Jupiter i find, as John hinted at above. Sometimes I look and get the same dissappointing views as you, then I go away and come back to it again and there is incredible shimmering detail, what with my old eyes and so on I can be amazed sometimes.

i've got the celestron x-cel lx 7mm ep too and the views i get of jupiter with it are mostly very good. as someone else has said the clarity does go in and out a little with the turbulence but you should be able to see more detail than what you're describing. make sure you check your collimation, let the scope cool if it has been kept indoors and be mindful of potential atmospheric turbulence. hope you get the view you want soon.

John and Robin have got it spot on for me - patience is the key - obviously other factors come into play but just spending time observing is the most important - you'd be suprized what becomes visible just for fleeting moments - those seconds sometimes are the ones I always remember.

As well as being collimated the scope needs to be fully cooled down. You also need to spend time studying the planet to capture the more subtle details - I usually spend and hour or two on it, clouds allowing.

If the seeing is bad the detail visible will be much reduced. Even when the seeing is good the fine detail is only visible for very short periods now and then - maybe just a few seconds at a time. Thats why you need to spend time studying it - the more you look, the more you will see.

Like John says poor seeing is going to wash out much of the planets detail. I have had some outstanding views with a 10 inch dob and 6mm and 8mm EPs over the weekend, you will too!

Thanks for the advice from everyone thinking about it although the skies were clear I don't think the conditions where as good as they looked I noticed a large halo around the moon so assume there was high cloud spoiling my view.

i will try again tonight and hope for better conditions. Thanks again for all your responses.

Thin haze (it does have to be thin!) needn't be a problem on the planets. In fact it's often associated with good seeing (stability of view). However, it doesn't guarantee good seeing either. As a general rule the seeing for high power observing goes on improving through the night as the land gives up its heat. The wee hours are often the most stable.

Olly

Also worth noting is brightness. It is possible to gather too much light and on transparent nights i find jupiter too bright and washed out in my 8". You could mask the scope down, others with larger scopes do so with great effect, but as you decrease the aperture you also decrease resolution. I much prefer the view with an nd96 filter rather than masking my 8" down.

But the above posts hold true, especially about cooling. I found my scope gos from not cool, to pretty much cool within 20mins with the fan on, i suspect this is where most people think they're cooled and ready, i know i used to. But after a further 40mins or so, things are ~proper~ cool, and the views are massively improved. It's definitely worth fitting a fan and doubling your usual cooldown time.

I had the same problem last night with my 10" dob and an 8mm BST - 12mm was the best it could take to get any detail, and even then it came and went.. As others have said, the closeness and brightness of the moon, the air quality and the general viewing conditions were just not right. I wouldn't expect any improvement tonight - as the moon is likely to be even brighter.

Io has just made first contact, I love transits. For the next few hours you will see the shadow of Io as it transits across the face of our largest local gas giant. You need to spend time at the eyepiece, observing is an art which requires time to learn. Looking and observing are not the same thing... Now if you will excuse me, I have a transit to observe.

the moon will make no difference to observing Jupiter. the seeing, optical quality, collimation, cooling and observer experience however, will :smiley:

I'd say that in normal circumstances, that would be correct, but I'd also say that the hazy skies we've had recently, lit up by the moon close by to jupiter, definitely washes out the detail, and steals a lot of the all-important contrast. However, on a clear night, as MS says, the difference the moon makes is negligible for planetary stuff.

On another note, I remember being a little disappointed the first time I observed Jupes. I remember expecting more. What a difference years of observing makes though :) Once you get used to seeing the detail, its amazing what your eyes and brain will pick out. It only gets better!

I'd say that in normal circumstances, that would be correct, but I'd also say that the hazy skies we've had recently, lit up by the moon close by to jupiter, definitely washes out the detail, and steals a lot of the all-important contrast. However, on a clear night, as MS says, the difference the moon makes is negligible for planetary stuff.

actually that's probably fair comment and probably makes it like observing in twilight.

Archived