NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New to Astronomy

Edo

Hello, Just thought id say hello, and tell you my experience of my first night of astronomy on Friday.

I had been doing some research on astronomy for some time and received my first telescope for my birthday last may but had yet to use the telescope due to work commitments and quite frankly i couldn't be bothered. So here it is Friday night I thought id get the telescope to have a look at what was around (this was of course the night that 2012 DA14 was meant to pass, (i didn't see it but you'll see why) so I began to set my telescope up at about 4pm and it was all going smoothly and I finished at about 5pm. Once i had finished I went inside and had some food (as i read somewhere it is important to let the telescope get used to the temperature before use.) My food was awful (here's where my evening took a turn for the worst) I went back outside to discover my telescope was covered in dew what a disaster! I looked up to the sky and thought oh no i'm going to miss it, and in a temper I started swearing and was really frustrated. I went inside and was still angry but i just forgot about it, I went to look at the sky at 7.20pm and there was a load cloud, clouds everywhere. Not the best evening for looking up at the sky but all in all beside the frustration i had a good evening and have been doing some more reading and learnt from my mistakes! I have also learnt more about my telescope, so all in all a good evening and another person hooked.

Thanks for reading

Edo x

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL

As long as you keep the lens/mirrors covered so they don't get dew on, it's no big deal if the rest of the scope gets damp. Keep the eyepieces indoors until you're ready to go out though.

James

Thanks guys, and thanks for the tips to stop the dew, ive heard of dew shields, any good? do they work?

Up to a point they work, yes. But your scope should already have one I think. No reason you couldn't extend it another 6" though, I imagine.

James

Archived