SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Yet another new member

Juckster

Hi, I am a complete novice from Staffordshire. My Son has asked for a telescope for his 5th birthday. As this is something that has interested me too, I thought i'd spend a few days trawling this site for advice and finally plumped for the Skywatcher Heritage 76 at £45.00

Firstly, have I chosen a decent telescope for a beginner (I felt I could spend more at a later date if I feel I need to upgrade). I mainly wanted to look at the moon, maybe Jupiter/Saturn and their rings and hopefully the Comet that's coming later on this year.

Thanks for the advice I've already been able to pick up on here from reading other threads and speak to you all again soon.

Oh, and when are we due another clear night sky ?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome aboard Juckster,

I cant really offer too much advice re the 3" Heritage, the EP's provided will be rather "average" and I'd recomend that you replace them with some budget Plossl's, I dont think the supplied finder will be much use either, a red dot finder will be easier to use. That said, for the Moon and brighter planets you will get away with it.

The scope wont take too much magnification on the moon and planets therefore dont try and push it with the EP's, stay at 7mm and higher. For a 300mm focal length that will give you just under 43x mag.

usually 30x and over should be enough to descern Saturns rings, though the image will be small.

The scope should provide decent wide field views for star clusters.

Sorry I cant offer anything further.

HTH

Hi and welcome to the forum. I think for the money and age of your lad, the Heritage is a good choice and will certainly provide views that hold his interest. I came across

video review of the scope which you might like to view and confirms it as a great introduction to astronomy which hopefully you and your lad can build on. :smiley:

Clear skies for its arrival and enjoy the forum.

James

Hi

A very warm welcome to the SGL,My grandson age 7 has just got his first scope not shore yet what my son has got him but if he gets in to it

I will upgrade for him :-)

if you got some eyepieces with the scope don't try to use lower number like a 10mm, use the 25mm if that is what you have you will find that works better

have fun with him as time moves very quickly, your turn around and he will be a adult

clear skies

Archived