Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Newbie from Whitstabubble

alfingido

Hi all, I am a newbie to the forum, but not astronomy. I started many years ago when my parents bought me a Tasco scope ( were talking late `60`s here, I dont remember the size) which my Brother ( bless him) promptly took to pieces. I put it back together and sat gazing at the moon with it whenever I could.

A long time passed and I bought a 6" Simmons Newtonian. Pretty useless really, but the bug had struck again and I spent years looking at fuzzy objects all over the sky, then I splashed out and bought a Meade ETX125.

It blew me away! That Simmons scope was, I realise now, pretty awful! Again, a few years passed while i tried to wear the ETX out, till it broke and the nice man at the shop said he would part ex it for something else. Thats when i got my current scope, a Meade LX90 with a box full of eyepieces and a ccd imager.

I`ve steadily added to it, now have a camera mount, filter sets, more eyepieces and a couple of mods on the scope. Light polution here isnt too bad, even better now the council are putting in new street lights that actually shine down.

I`ve been on quite a few forums over the years but mostly USA sites, its nice to find one more local and i look forward to many hours on here in the future.

But, upgraditis has started to rear its ugly head again and I will be looking for something else in the near future. The Meade is fantastic, but quite bulky to carry out through 3 rooms and up the garden, so something more maneagable is the order of the day.

Any suggestions will be very welcome, seems I have been doing more stargazing than shop watching so dont really know whats available out there.

So, thats me, getting on a bit, thinning hair and now needing glasses even to write this!

Allan

But, upgraditis has started to rear its ugly head again and I will be looking for something else in the near future. The Meade is fantastic, but quite bulky to carry out through 3 rooms and up the garden, so something more maneagable is the order of the day.

Any suggestions will be very welcome, seems I have been doing more stargazing than shop watching so dont really know whats available out there.

What sort of astronomy do you want to do ?? ie Visual,Imaging,both ???

What sort of astronomy do you want to do ?? ie Visual,Imaging,both ???

A bit of both I suppose. I use my LX mostly for visual but it came with the Meade LPI and have some very good images of the moon, Saturn Jupiter Venus Mars and a little dabble around Orions belt.,

I must admit, I am not really up on the imaging side, the LPI being the limit of what I have used, but I would like to use it more and perhaps have a go with my Nikon DSLR. I also have an unmodded Toucan.

I am very happy with the images from my LX90, but find I am not using it as much as I should.

I suppose the best thing would be to look through a few different makes and types of telescopes, I have really only used Meade, so dont know what the quality of other equipment is. What i am after is something a little lighter, with similar imaging capabilities.

Allan

I might just go up to Blean in Nov. I have been meaning to get there for quite a while, but I was either working late or it was cloudy!!!

Different job now, no more lates/nights anymore.

It would be nice to have a look through a refractor, if there are any there.

Allan

Hi to everybody else. Well, after reading a few posts on here, and due to the fact that comet Holmes is out there, i decided to lug out the LX90

through 3 rooms and the conservatory and put it on the sloping lawn.

Well, i realised just what a good scope this is, I dont think I will be parting with it.

So, I need to ask a few questions and will be posting a bit more on the other forums.

Allan

Archived