Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Newbie greetings and advice please

igriggs

Hi All,

Just want to introduce myself as an SGL newbie. I live in Hemel Hempstead, Herts and currently use a CPC 800 from my back garden. I'd appreciate any suggestions re local astronomy clubs and, at the risk of everyone yawning, ask your advice for an introduction to imaging. Ive seen some posts about CCD's but as new kit is becoming available, thought someone could update the forum with the latest batch of equipt suitable for novices.

Im told that some DSO's are invisible the eye and only seen after stacking hundreds of images?

Any suggestions for suitable astro objects and imaging equipment to learn this (literal) Dark Art?

Thanks for you patience and i look forward to getting to know you all.

Regards

Ian

Welcome to sgl I would second the book. I assume you are going to be using your scope and not buying a scope and mount for imaging. Planetary and lunar imaging can be done quite easily with your scope using a webcam. deep space is goint to to take a bit more work and equipment You will need this

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/wedge-accessories.html it's either that or a new mount. I am afraid

you will need this

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reducersflatteners/celestron-f63-focal-reducer.html

again pretty much essential

After that the rest is pretty optional but if you want to get good pics you will need to go guided. Generally speaking the traditional way for sct's is to use an off axis guider

But some mount a small scope on top of their sct. the book explains it all better than I can. It tells you what you need and more importantly why

Hi Ian and welcome to SGL, I see from your first post that you are intent on chasing the faint fuzzies, your CPC 800 will certainly need a wedge and other accessories, but the most important piece of advice that has been given so far is to obtain a copy of Steve`s book. Posting in the imaging sections should provide you with some help on using your set-up and its suitability for long exposure DSO imaging, enjoy your Astronomy :)

John.

Archived