Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi from Harpenden

StevieT55

Just a short post to say hi to everyone

I was lucky enough to get a Skywatcher Skymax 127 Telescope for Christmas, yes I know very lucky. Only used it a few times due to cold and cloud, but very happy with it.

there was also a special offer of additional lenses and I can't resist special offers, I am the two for one person with a full cart in supermarkets.

i now have the additional lenses and also some coloured filters, blue, red, grey etc.

can anyone tell me when to use these and for what purpose?

Steve

Welcome to SGL

The 127 Mak is a very nice little scope and you should have a lot of fun with it. Personally though I've never used filters other than occasionally an ND Moon filter. Some people find coloured filters help, particularly with planetary observing, others don't.

James

Hi and welcome to the forum. Some people find the filters useful but like James above, I only use specific filters (Neodymium, OIII etc) so have no experience of your contrast filters. If you find them helpful in allowing you to pick out detail then in my view there will have been worth buying. No filter is a magic bullet but sometimes they can make a subtle difference that is worth having for sure.

Clear skies soon and enjoy the forum.

James

Welcome to SGL Steve,

Coloured filters are usually planetry territory, google the wratten ref and relevance will be advised per option.

If unsure ask in the advice section in beginners.

Enjoy the forum

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Archived