NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

video - today's Astrofest in London

nytecam

Ah just saw the Atik poster on the video, Aik 314L+ is £935.

Not a bad discount, £160 cheaper than FLO, but not worth it for me, when I include the travel costs, train would have been £90 + taxi and food.

I had heard they had reduced the 314L+ by £250 last year, and upset some of the Atik dealers who were are Astro Fest.

Worth it if you live in London.

Really disappointed that I didn't even know this was taking place - exactly the same happenned last year, and the year before. Why is this event always so poorly advertised?? :cry:

It's been in Astronomy Now mag for the past couple of issues. Unfortunately by the time I made up my mind to go, all the Saturday (The only day I could make) conferance tickets had gone.

Did you spot the EQ8 mount in the corner of the Skywatcher stand?

Also, just below the £45k refractor the Widescreen Centre had an announcement of a new cooled DSLR, coming soon. The notable feature being they claimed to have it cooling to -31 deg. C :kiss:

I was also quite interested in the prototype Astromount mount on the top floor. With the input from AWR it sounds like it has a solid pedigree for the design.

Really disappointed that I didn't even know this was taking place - exactly the same happenned last year, and the year before. Why is this event always so poorly advertised?? :cry:

I see you're in North West London, the exhibit is open all day tomorrow as well. All the lectures are sold out but you can still go and look at astrostuff if you like that.

There was 10% discount on Televue EPs on The Widescreen Centre stand (and you could be served by David Nagler and his wife) and there seemed to be some level of discounting on many of the other stands.

I think that price is the same for all TV at the show - Green Witch, downstairs, had the same prices on Televue eyepieces and powermates.

OO UK had up to about 15% off on certain scopes labelled as show prices .

The two stands that stood out for me were the Peak2Valley stand and the Altair Astro one .

I was very impressed with some of the Peak2Valley Achro Refractors especially the new 150mm F8 Starsplitter Lite prototype which comes in at under 9 kilos with excellent build quality and super smooth focusers . Also the very good value for money kit that Altair Astro offer with a beautifully finished Alt Az Giro type mount with very easy movement in all axis. They certainly made some of the skywatcher kit look very mass produced and low on quality and finish . ( Controversial :evil: )

It's been trailled with 1 to 8 page full colour adverts in Astronomy Now magazine since mid-September (Oct issue) and it's been discussed in the 'Astroevents' forum on SGL since the beginning of November. It's on the same time of year every year, the first or second Friday/Sat of Februrary.

I'm amazed SGL members don't know when Astrofest is on - especially if they live in London :eek:

I'm equally amazed how many of you must have some new gear ! I've all the toys I need for now and didn't take my creditcard - got away with a cheap day of £6 for entry, only £2 more for my train fare, and scrounged my coffees :cool: But had a great day meeting up and bumping into dozens of old friends - marvellous :p

BTW - the above BIG scope label read...

APM-LZOS 254/2250

Observatory Class Refractor

Minimum 96% Strehl

Triplet lens design by Thomas M Beck/LZOS for APM

Supplied with LZOS Optical Test Report

Starlight Instruments X.X" Focuser

£45,549 APM APO

so mount extra !

Well I did pick up a few small things,

A copy of The Cambridge Star Atlas to replace my falling-apart copy of Norton,

A Starwatcher cross-hair EP so I can drift-align my HEQ5

And finally an AstronomiK CLS filter from Gerd Neuman who was at the Widescreen Centre stand.

OH, yes, that 10" APO is very impressive indeed!

Had a great day.. I had been saving for a while and so picked up a 10" OO UK dob and a 13mm, 8mm and 6mm TV Ethos! Got some nice discount so very chuffed.

Enjoyed the morning session and also got a signed copy of Wonders of Life, tho it was pre-signed as Brian Cox had to pull out of the personal signing session. Did catch him at the Widescreen centre stand though!

Archived