NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher Nirvana?

DaveGarland

Hi all. I'm after your views. I have a 200p and am using a Baader Hyperion 8mm. At first I was very happy with this compared with the standard eyepiece delivered with the scope. But at a star party someone asked me if I thought the views were a little "soft"? Ever since then I've noticed the views are very, well, "soft!" Lol. Would the Skywatcher Nirvana offer me a crisper view? Or perhaps do you have any other eyepiece suggestions?

Thanks.

Dave.

I've tried a few Nirvana's and William Optics UWAN's (same eyepiece). They are very good - very nearly as good as the Tele Vue Naglers but somewhat less expensive. The 28mm 2" one is a massive affair though - be prepared to re-balance your scope !. The others are around the same weight as the Hyperions.

i would reccomend these they will blow your socks off. seriously these are incredible as john says the 28mm is heavy 1kg but a beauty, i keep mine nice and warm in my bed though with its own little duvet :grin:

I bought mine after trying a mates' 7mm and 16mm Nirvanas, I was using BSTs at the time and they definitely improved my views (plus the bonus of the 82 degree factor) I've never tried the Hyperion range so couldn't comment on the comparison. The 28mm Nirvana was bought after reviews on here and to echo Faulksy's post - the views blow your socks off!

Don't you have a local group you could hook up with whose members may have the Nirvanas or UWANs to let you try before you buy?

I have the 16mm nirvana and it's superb in my explorer 300pds. I'm looking to buy the 7mm but they don't seem to turn up used very often so I'll have to buy new, if it's anything like the 16mm it will be worth it.

Gary.

Had the 7mm & 28mm, both superb and would highly recommend them.

It's a real pity that there were not more of these in the range than the 28mm, 16mm 7mm and 4mm. If there were then they might occupy the position that the ES 82's do now in challenging the Nagler range for quite a bit less £'s. A 5.5mm, 10mm and a 2" 20mm would make this a mighty attractive set for the wide field fan :smiley:

On which point - I can recommend the ES range - Also the Meade 5000 UWA's. All very good EP's

I did look into WO UWANs and the Nirvanas but thought that the range of F/Ls was a bit restricted (as mentioned above). Never heard a bad word about their optical performance though

I agree with Damo and John. The only reason I never looked at these as a possible buy was the fact that there were only 4 in the set. I used the 28mm about 2 years back for a few weeks and I was most impressed, I know John has had some time with the shorter F/Ls so I would say get out to the shops and get one. I will also say the 28mm is a bit big so be careful.

Alan.

Hi Dave, I am the same as you, I have found the Baader Hyperions a bit soft, I hope it wasn't me who pointed this out to you at the South West Star Party, as the Hyperions have many followers here. Don't know what to suggest as a replacement, I use the BST Explorer/StarGuider 8mm and have no complaints about this one, however, I have heard that the Nirvana's and WO UWAN's are pretty good, as John points out above.

• 1 month later...

The Delos and the Pentax XW 10mm's are probably about the best 10mm eyepieces available today. Any scope will benefit from that sort of quality.

The problem is, if you get one gem in your collection like that, you quickly develop a taste for more :rolleyes2:

I still haven't made a decision due to the rubbish weather. However as time goes by my budget is increasing a little :) Im now wondering, would a Televue Delos be a bit of overkill for a 200P? Or is there no such thing as too good?

No such thing I'm afraid, unless weight is an issue (it is in my scope, but not in yours ;)), Pentax XW / TeleVue will work well in pretty much every scope you'll own :).

Archived