Hi all

daymo

Hello everyone, my name is Damian and I live on the south coast of the UK (Southampton) I guess I have always had a curiosity of the stars but never acted upon it , having lurked on these forums -and others- I decided that a pair of celestron 15x70 bins were the way the way to go for now and tonight being the first clear night since getting them I thought I would finally say hello, the moon looks great and Jupiter and its moons we're a first for me , even my better half was amazed at the difference a pair of bins make, loads of stars up there and lots of learning to do,look forward to participating in these forums....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi Damian and welcome to the forum. As a binocular user can I recommend this site which is in fact authored by a member on this site. It will provide plenty of useful tips on using and mounting your new bios along with suggesting some great new targets each month. A free piece of planetarium software called Stellarium might also be something worth looking at as it will also help you learn the skies and where some of the best objects to view are located. Lastly, there is a great book called "Turn Left At Orion" which you might also find useful. It list around a hundred objects (divided into seasons) that can be found using modest scopes and binoculars. It supplies great information on these objects as well as very good maps and written instruction on how to find them. Using book the book and Stellarium together will allow you to rehearse finding these objects - especially when the clouds come in!.

Clear skies for now and hope you enjoy the forum.

James

Hi Damian and welcome to SGL, all the help you'll need is here, just ask. Binos are a great, esp when there's few opportunities to setup a scope before the clouds roll in again. It might be worth looking up the Moore winter marathon on the BBC website. The first 25 objects are naked eye and binocular.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/b006mk7h

Good luck

Jason

Welcome to SGL Damien.

Given the wonderful UK skies, Bins are are great bonus to actually catching some clear patches!

Dont feel rushed into getting a scope there's loads that Bins can show.

Get yourself a copy of Turn left at Orion, it will help you loads :icon_salut:

Thanks for the welcome, have now ordered a tripod for the bins and the clouds are back with a vengeance, have downloaded a few astro apps for my phone(including stellarium mobile) and have now got turn left at Orion on my iPad , can't wait for clear skies again....

Sent from my HTC Sensation XL using Tapatalk 2

• 3 weeks later...

Archived