NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Will you ever give up stargazing?

emadmoussa

Hola all,

I have to say this forum is a great way to keep your interest in stargazing alive. Reciprocating and sharing interest is a great way to build your knowledge and in turn pass it down to new comers.

For me personally, I had my share of theoritical learning of astronomy but until recently I never got around getting into the practical side - getting my own stargazing kit and be part of the stargazing community. And, oh boy!! Once you start...all the past passion comes back to life.

I hope I'm not generalizing by saying that, on the other hand, some of us might be concerned that at some point frustration will kick in and you'll give it all up. Especially if you haven't been instantaneously successful or had unrealistic expectations. Or let's say, you might get bored...

It'll be a good idea to share opinions on how to keep your passion for stargazing and astronomy ignited.

Imad

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Life sometimes gets in the way, for example when I first moved to London after University, stargazing took a bit of back seat for a while, but at 20 years and counting of owning and using telescopes, and looking up for about 30 years, I feel pretty confident, that despite what life (and the great UK weather!) throws at me, astronomy will be a life long obsession.

I don't think "giving it up" is an issue. To me stargazing is just a hobby,

and I enjoy it for what it is......

" A hobby of opportunity, weather permitting ".

A member on the CN forum said, " if your not having fun at this hobby, then your not doing it right ". I agree.

I don't think "giving it up" is an issue. To me stargazing is just a hobby,

and I enjoy it for what it is......

" A hobby of opportunity, weather permitting ".

A member on the CN forum said, " if your not having fun at this hobby, then your not doing it right ". I agree.

I second that. I see you're a UFO enthusiast?!

No I can't see it happening.

I've said it before but one way to keep the spark is to incorporate the passion elsewhere and not just while observing/imaging. Reading is good but what about a DIY project like building your own scope, mirror grinding or digging up the wife's azaleas for an obs.

Having two young kids who take up a lot of time has taught me that there is no shame in not having the energy to go out, sometimes you just have to get on with things but it doesn't mean your interest is lacking.

I see all these posts about people considering giving it in and it saddens me a touch, of course each person is different and believe me I can sympathise with them.

246 days of rain in Brussels alone last year is enough to drive anyone to despair, and then when it is clear it's some of the worse LP in the world and the seeing is generally pants. Now I have the prospect of moving to Paris later in the year and I can't see the situation improving a great deal.

Still I look forward to when I can get out and I would say I'm more keen on stargazing than I was a year ago and am in the process of saving for a major upgrade.

All in all I would say to those questioning giving it in to take a break, find other things to do and don't sell your equipment(unless you have a C11 going cheap then give me a bell) because you will regret it in the long run.

When observing is impossible i love to tinker with the equipment, dob,telrad and platyform making. Stripping scopes or mounts and fabricating anything to make observing life easier. I'm also studying towards an astrophysics degree (whiich finishes if I pass the last two modules (hopefully) this october)

I've had the interest since I was 8yrs old & although i'd always wanted to buy the kit, due to work, family & other things I never managed it until last October (although I've always had a very keen interest in science etc & that costs nothing really) I bought my first scope (Skywatcher 130m) a couple of EP's & filters and a couple of guides. I knew what to expect from the scope ie no 'Hubble' type views so was very impressed with Jupiter. Then aperture fever kicked in & I went for the Skywatcher/EQ5 combo last Friday. Due to this countrys grim weather I havnt got to use it yet & seem to spend all my spare time obsessing over weather reports to a point that even though it was thick cloud outside the forecast said it was clear SO i assumed (stupidly) that it would be clearer a few miles away, packed the lot in the car and set off for the countryside, after 5miles & nothing but thick cloud I turned around vowing to put the lot up for sale & thinking of a hobby that I could actually do in my spare time,(plus I'd have over a grand to start 'new' hobby) I went to bed with the same thoughts but woke up the next morning & by default went straight to the laptop & 7timer!! STILL cloud forever BUT even though i get narked now & again this hobby has been with me for a very long time & i dont think i'll ever give it up................................STILL havnt used the 200p :mad: :mad:

Steve

First saw the moon through a scope about 6, the second time was last night for my First Light with my first owned scope.

I doubt I will ever actively 'give up' theres just too much to see, I have an addictive personality so aperture fever will probably keep me going until I have the gear I want and then it will calm back down to a hobby.

Thats if the clouds stay away long enough for the other half to permit more spending.

I've had the interest since I was 8yrs old & although i'd always wanted to buy the kit, due to work, family & other things I never managed it until last October (although I've always had a very keen interest in science etc & that costs nothing really) I bought my first scope (Skywatcher 130m) a couple of EP's & filters and a couple of guides. I knew what to expect from the scope ie no 'Hubble' type views so was very impressed with Jupiter. Then aperture fever kicked in & I went for the Skywatcher/EQ5 combo last Friday. Due to this countrys grim weather I havnt got to use it yet & seem to spend all my spare time obsessing over weather reports to a point that even though it was thick cloud outside the forecast said it was clear SO i assumed (stupidly) that it would be clearer a few miles away, packed the lot in the car and set off for the countryside, after 5miles & nothing but thick cloud I turned around vowing to put the lot up for sale & thinking of a hobby that I could actually do in my spare time,(plus I'd have over a grand to start 'new' hobby) I went to bed with the same thoughts but woke up the next morning & by default went straight to the laptop & 7timer!! STILL cloud forever BUT even though i get narked now & again this hobby has been with me for a very long time & i dont think i'll ever give it up................................STILL havnt used the 200p :mad: :mad:

Steve

Well, tell me about it!! I still haven't properly tested my new EPs or tried astro imaging. I spent last week doing some DIY to the scope.

Well, tell me about it!! I still haven't properly tested my new EPs or tried astro imaging. I spent last week doing some DIY to the scope.

Yep, my scope has been polished to death & a chesire eyepiece arrived today (clouds wont spoil that :evil: ) so i've no doubt it'll be colimated to death aswell :grin:

Steve

Yep, my scope has been polished to death & a chesire eyepiece arrived today (clouds wont spoil that :evil: ) so i've no doubt it'll be colimated to death aswell :grin:

Steve

Tomorrow I'll spend sometimes setting up the guide scope and modifying the XBox ''to death''...Hopefully this will stop me from going amok :)

Yes and no.

Once learnt you cannot remove the knowledge, so if someone asks Whats that? You will still have the knowledge.

Could I give it up, yes, I am not "hung up" on observing, I simply observe when the mood takes me, conditions are right and everything drops into place.

Does mean that the assorted cries of "Clouds for a month, I am going to seel everything!" don't apply. If it is clear and I feel like it I will observe, otherwise something else.

Chances of observing in this hobby are quite low and certainly cannot be planned for, and realising that is vitally important, once a month might seem low but I guess that twice a month is above average.

Yes and no.

Once learnt you cannot remove the knowledge, so if someone asks Whats that? You will still have the knowledge.

Could I give it up, yes, I am not "hung up" on observing, I simply observe when the mood takes me, conditions are right and everything drops into place.

Does mean that the assorted cries of "Clouds for a month, I am going to seel everything!" don't apply. If it is clear and I feel like it I will observe, otherwise something else.

Chances of observing in this hobby are quite low and certainly cannot be planned for, and realising that is vitally important, once a month might seem low but I guess that twice a month is above average.

I think a lot of us agree on that. 2 good sessions a month is a good deal...

I hope to be observing as long as my eyesight keeps going.. One good thing about the modern equipment, there is now a huge range of scopes that can all help those that have health issues. The advent of video astronomy is a possible boon to those with failing eyesight.

My eyesight is not failing yet, but there's a possible family history of macular degeneration so it's something that I plan for.

I hope to be observing as long as my eyesight keeps going.. One good thing about the modern equipment, there is now a huge range of scopes that can all help those that have health issues. The advent of video astronomy is a possible boon to those with failing eyesight.

My eyesight is not failing yet, but there's a possible family history of macular degeneration so it's something that I plan for.

Hopefully your eyesight will stay intact.

Having been interested since 9 years old, I guess I will always have this child-like fascination and enthusiasm for the hobby.

I has always been a great relaxing (and on many occasions frustrating) time of relaxation away from everyday life.

You just never know what might happen up there, or what you might see next. That's what does it for me.

Keep looking up, or you might just miss it.

Quite possibly. I've gone inactive on hobbies before. But then sometimes returned to them.

At least I doubt I'll forget how to find common targets with a pair of binoculars, any more than I'll forget how to ride a bike.

Archived