Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

import telescope from germany ??

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Colin

Some of the gain depends on what the Euro/Pound exchange rate is at the time of purchase - it is not quite so favourable at the moment I think (so that there is not so much gain in buying from Europe especially if you add shipping costs). Having said that, I have bought a mount (and other bits and pieces) from Teleskop-Service in Germany with no problems (rapid and safe delivery too), and also a bought a telescope from Italy. My advice would be to make sure you pay for a good quality delivery option.

Hope that helps!

I bought a few upgrades and adapters from TS before. Great service and no problem at all.

However, you need to remember if there is anything wrong with the telescope, it will cost more to sent it back for repair or exchange. Furthermore, you need to remember there is a differences between the exchange rate your bank or credit card company uses and what Google tells you. For example, Google says £1000 = €1190, but today's bank rates (HSBC) is £1000 = €1119, i.e. 6.4% less.

Hi Colin

Some of the gain depends on what the Euro/Pound exchange rate is at the time of purchase - it is not quite so favourable at the moment I think (so that there is not so much gain in buying from Europe especially if you add shipping costs). Having said that, I have bought a mount (and other bits and pieces) from Teleskop-Service in Germany with no problems (rapid and safe delivery too), and also a bought a telescope from Italy. My advice would be to make sure you pay for a good quality delivery option.

Hope that helps!

Hi than for your reply ive been in touch with the company u mentioned . they have told me if there was a prob with scope they would send a return label. The CPC HD 1100 edge is at present around 800 pounds cheaper than in this country. I would think as for packing the scope would come in its well packed box plus some more .

We've bought quite a few items from Teleskop Service, including a 16 inch dob that I think weighed over 100kg in total. It was very well packaged, and their customer service and sales advice has been superb. As already said, you will pay a bit more than the straightforward conversion rate.

I've just yesterday had a 10" GSO dob delivered from teleskop-express by UPS (ordered last Friday night), it arrived in perfect condition and even came with a free bag of sweets :D The price was very competitive, especially the delivery charge to the Highlands which so many UK suppliers seem to have problems with. If I had a gripe at all it's a small one and it's with UPS, the delivery driver left the scope in the garage as I was out at work when he came. I forgive him that mind you as it saved me having to pick it up and find a way to fit it into a fiat Panda!

The scope came in two boxes each with it's own tracking number, at one point one was in the UK and the other still stuck in Frankfurt but by the morning they were back together and on their way, delivery was on the day they promised.

I bought a 10" dob from TS. After a little haggling, they delivered to Ireland for free. Great service. Those boxes were huge and they wanted €50 originally, which would have been fair. Good to deal with.

Barry

I've bought a fair bit from TS and quick and comprehensive Customer Service and the deliveries via UPS are always quick and secure and fully tracked. If you were to import a scope from Europe I would say they are the safest bet.

And yes, you do save some £££ on most things, quite why that should be, I'm not sure....maybe it's the premium we pay for living in such a wonderful little country. :confused:

Hi thanx for your reply ive been in touch with the company u mentioned . they have told me if there was a prob with scope they would send a return label. The CPC HD 1100 edge is at present around 800 pounds cheaper than in this country. I would think as for packing the scope would come in its well packed box plus some more .

If it correct u only pay tax at source in Germany and then nothing else to pay ? is Vat etc

Something that hasn't been covered, but hopefully not relevant in this instance.

A 'proper' scope retailer knows how to pack for shipping and will do it properly.

So short the parcel dropping off the truck and getting driven over, or the truck catching fire, or the truck being stolen, there won't be a problem.

Yes I have had all 3 happen to inbound parcels over the years! Though hundreds have arrived without incident.

If you buy from an individual, he may not know how to pack for transit. That is a very different matter that you have to discuss with the seller.

Also many carriers charge extra for insurance and it isn't obvious to a casual user, or won't pay for 2nd hand goods.

So beware here.

I got some tube rings from TS, ordered Monday early afternoon, delivered Wednesday , right that`s fast, also the rings were wrapped in thick brown paper, then a great wad of large bubble wrap and a decent card box, very well packed

Something that hasn't been covered, but hopefully not relevant in this instance.

A 'proper' scope retailer knows how to pack for shipping and will do it properly.

So short the parcel dropping off the truck and getting driven over, or the truck catching fire, or the truck being stolen, there won't be a problem.

Yes I have had all 3 happen to inbound parcels over the years! Though hundreds have arrived without incident.

If you buy from an individual, he may not know how to pack for transit. That is a very different matter that you have to discuss with the seller.

Also many carriers charge extra for insurance and it isn't obvious to a casual user, or won't pay for 2nd hand goods.

So beware here.

I do hope you mean 1000s

Hate to spoil the party but I ordered a scope from TS yesterday which was clearly marked IN STOCK. Find out today by email that it isn't. I really do not appreciate sort of thing with internet sellers. Need to check whether my credit card has been debitted :mad: :mad:

Archived