Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

hello new member here

240788dt

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hiya and welcome - the only limit is how much cash you have. Mine are listed in my signature at the bottom of this post.

Its a good place to look and see what other people are using. :smiley:

A lot of people recommend the BST range of eyepieces (sold here) and at just under £50 each they represent good value for money with good performance to match. Ultimately you can pay up to £500 an eyepiece due to optical design, the coatings and importantly the wide field of view that many observers demand, but of course an eyepiece forms only part of the optical pathway, the quality and the design of the scope has to be considered too to warrant such expense. Some 'fast' scopes namely those with an 'F' number less than 7 place more demands on an eyepiece because any eyepiece has to work harder bringing the light to a single focus point within such a short length of tube.

Clear skies

James

A lot of people recommend the BST range of eyepieces (sold here) and at just under £50 each they represent good value for money with good performance to match. Ultimately you can pay up to £500 an eyepiece due to optical design, the coatings and importantly the wide field of view that many observers demand, but of course an eyepiece forms only part of the optical pathway, the quality and the design of the scope has to be considered too to warrant such expense. Some 'fast' scopes namely those with an 'F' number less than 7 place more demands on an eyepiece because any eyepiece has to work harder bringing the light to a single focus point within such a short length of tube.

Clear skies

James

thanks, also will any eyepiece fit on my telescope? or will i have to go with certain brands.....

Hello and welcome to SGL. I too am a new member and am already very pleased I joined, everyone has been most helpful, I hope you too will feel the same.

hi and yes im also pleased iv joined, just looking for some advice on eyepieces :)

thanks, also will any eyepiece fit on my telescope? or will i have to go with certain brands.....

Modern eyepieces come in two diameters as a rule, 1.25" and 2". I imagine your scope will be 1.25", and any other 1.25" eyepiece should fit.

James

I am a bit biased (cuz I have one) but the Skywatcher 8-24mm zoom is a versatile piece with no obvious difference in optical quality over a medium priced fixed type eyepiece. And it has a thread under the rubber eyecup to attach a camera (with adapter) if you wanted to dabble later. These are 1.25" which I imagine your scope is. Welcome aboard too ;)

Hi 240788dt welcome to SGL, your best asking for advice on equipment in the "getting started section" as you will get a bigger response

let people know what telescope you have and your budget.

good luck.

Generally it's considered that the maximum reasonable magnification for a telescope is twice the aperture, so 180x in your case. The magnification is given by dividing the focal length of the telescope (1000mm for this scope) by the focal length of the eyepiece. Thus your 20mm eyepiece gives 1000/20 or 50x magnification and the 10mm one gives 100x magnification. The shortest focal length you'd really want to go to would be about 6mm.

If you feel the eyepieces you have aren't that good then it's often the case that the shorter focal lengths are weaker than the longer ones, so you might replace the 10mm one, but it could perhaps make more sense to buy a 12mm eyepiece and a 2x barlow. A 2x barlow doubles the effective focal length of the telescope, so the 20mm eyepiece would act as a 10mm eyepiece when combined with the barlow, and the 12mm would act as a 6mm eyepiece when combined with the barlow, giving you 50x, 83x, 100x and 167x magnification.

James

Hi and welcome to SGL, apart from eye pieces you mention a Sun filter, manufactured filters to fit your scope can be expensive, however, special film is made by Baader Planetarium enabling you to make your own, this can be sourced from FLO, see top of page, or other outlets. Every care should be taken when Solar observing and strictly adhering to the recommended guide lines is essential, your eye sight is precious, enjoy your Astronomy :)

John.

Hi and welcome to SGL, apart from eye pieces you mention a Sun filter, manufactured filters to fit your scope can be expensive, however, special film is made by Baader Planetarium enabling you to make your own, this can be sourced from FLO, see top of page, or other outlets. Every care should be taken when Solar observing and strictly adhering to the recommended guide lines is essential, your eye sight is precious, enjoy your Astronomy :)

John.

Generally it's considered that the maximum reasonable magnification for a telescope is twice the aperture, so 180x in your case. The magnification is given by dividing the focal length of the telescope (1000mm for this scope) by the focal length of the eyepiece. Thus your 20mm eyepiece gives 1000/20 or 50x magnification and the 10mm one gives 100x magnification. The shortest focal length you'd really want to go to would be about 6mm.

If you feel the eyepieces you have aren't that good then it's often the case that the shorter focal lengths are weaker than the longer ones, so you might replace the 10mm one, but it could perhaps make more sense to buy a 12mm eyepiece and a 2x barlow. A 2x barlow doubles the effective focal length of the telescope, so the 20mm eyepiece would act as a 10mm eyepiece when combined with the barlow, and the 12mm would act as a 6mm eyepiece when combined with the barlow, giving you 50x, 83x, 100x and 167x magnification.

James

thanks alot :)

Archived