SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Seeing Orion Trapezium stars E&F - tips

Hi,

A recent Telescope House newsletter mentioned looking for these, which it says are mag 10, so we had a quick go last night. Can easily see Trapezium A - D with 8 - 3mm in our 250 PX but no sign of E&F.

My first thought is that maybe we need a darker site? Home is (I think 5-6) on the bortle scale.

Does that sound like it or is there another factor people can think of?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry guys wasn't specific enough - yes I can see the main 4 ( A-D) fine with 8-3mm.

But it's seeing the 5th and 6th ( E and F) that I was trying to do. If someone says it's impossible with 10" I'll forget it but if 10" would be enough on a dark site / with good seeing I'll keep trying.

I managed to see the E and F stars of the trapezium clearly last year from my seriously light polluted position just one and a half miles from the centre of Leeds, using my Skywatcher 8" flextube dob. I made a sketch of what I saw at the time to compare with a published position drawings of the six stars in the group to confirm what I had seen. Sky conditions here have never been better to my knowledge than naked eye mag 4.1 since I took up astronomy again some twelve years ago. Presumably the seeing that night was particularly favourable. Goes to demonstrate that the old advice to keep trying is valid.

Yeah, after reading this thread I think that the 18" probably got the 6th, and I might have gotten 5 if i fiddled more with focus and higher mag... but seeing might have affected it as orion was (usually is) pretty low at it's highest point from sweden.

It is alot to do with seeing, scope cooling and collimation. You also need to use just the right amount of magnification. I have seen E and hints of F in 8" mak but it is difficult. I was looking over/between houses so not ideal. Should be quite do-able in a 10" given the above conditions being right.

Stu

I think that seeing, the declination of the constellation and the exit pupil size will allow these to be seen more than the aperture or type of scope. I can see both E & F in my 6" f11 on good nights. don't push magnification too much either, I am sure my 18mm BGO (now sold) revealed them at about 90-100x in my two scopes. certainly at least one of the two 'others'. not looked this year due to apalling weather.

The issue with the fainter members of Theta Orionis (i.e. not the 4 trapezium stars A,B,C,D but the rest - which go up to I) is not just their magnitude but rather their proximity to the brighter stars. In other words it's a matter of resolution, not just light grasp. So steady air and good clean optics are important as well as aperture, with high magnification being required.

Star E was discovered by Struve in 1826 using a 9.5" refractor, F was discovered by Herschel in 1830 using an 11.75" refractor. G and H were discovered in 1888 using the 36 inch refractor at Lick Observatory, by Alvan Clark and E.E. Barnard. The latter subsequently found H to be double (mag 14.5 and 15.5m, separation 1.6 arcseconds).

post-1955-0-84540700-1357912060_thumb.gi

I have seen E but not F with my 10". My local seeing is generally quite poor though. There are two carparks E & SE of me that radiate heat away in plumes, so I have to catch things at just the right time to get good resolution. My Planetary views are similarly limited.

I typically can see E & F with my 10" dob from my California light polluted backyard skies. It mostly depends on seeing conditions. Attached is a single frame photo I took afocally with my hand-held iphone. You can clearly see E & F. The view at the eyepiece looks much sharper than the attached photo.

Jason

post-5330-0-71429300-1357919786_thumb.jp

I must be incredibly lucky! I managed to see both E and F the first time I tried, using the 250PX from my light polluted back garden (living in a large town only a handful of miles from Glasgow). Good collimation and sky conditions are most likely key although I've not looked for E and F since last year so I can't remember how often they showed themselves and under what conditions! I'll be sure to have a peek next time the seeing is good. :grin:

Hi i've only managed e and f properly on one occasion with a 10", i found it easier with slightly less mag on that night(still high) (i didnt make great notes that night so can't ellab.)

On other occasions I think i glimpsed them but its at the point where i don;t trust myself.

Thanks for all the replies guys, really good to know that it's certainly possible with our scope and I will persevere to get the right conditions etc. taking into account the advice above.

Plus I have noted that I was inaccurate to call them Trapezium E&F, should be Theta Orionis E&F as only A-D are the trapezium, makes sense, thanks acey.

Archived