NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello!

tibbz2

Hello all, I joined a few days ago and thought I better make a thread in here to say hi! My name is Tobias and as you can tell I'm from good old Lincolnshire, and I'm quite lucky in the fact unlike many on my friends I do not live in town, but in an area with literally no other pollution apart from the closest town in the distance and a depot about a mile up the road! Luckily all the times i've been out LP certainly hasn't been a problem, it's lovely and dark!

Currently I'm not exactly rolling in money due to being at school, so I won't be getting into AP and stuff like that quite yet, but I would like to when I have the cash! I will probably be in university (if I do get in) until I'm 26 or something stupid like that if I can where I want to go, so that will be a while yet! :p

I didn't have a good idea for my avatar, so instead of just grabbing a pic of one of my inspirational figures, Sagan, I thought I would dress my avatar up as him instead.

Hi Tobias and welcome to the lounge, glad to hear you've got some nice dark sky outside of town and lots you can do or learn without spending serious money - a reasonable pair of 10x50 binos can be found s/h for £ 25-40 and you can really start finding your way around.

Lots of good advice here FOC, so don't be afraid to ask.

Jake

Hi Tobias, welcome to the forum, there is plenty you can do with the kit you have in your signature, see if you have an astro club in your locality, they may have kit you can use/borrow and they'll certainly have plenty of knowledge you can take advantage of as you can on SGL. Good luck studying and preparing for Uni. :wink:

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Hey and welcome to SGL! I'm at school still too :D Only 1 more year then University! I suspect you're going for medicine with a course that long... Else you're going to be a Dr soon ;)

Actually I'm thinking of going into Physics then doing a PhD in a field like astronomy, astrophysics or particle physics! (If I can, I have no idea if i'm that clever)

Hi Tobias and welcome to the forum. To help you in your understanding of the night sky, you might like to think about downloading some free planetarium software called Stellarium - you can read about it here. Lots of great features to help you get started and to keep you entertained when the clouds come in. It can be calibrated from any location in order to reproduce a simulated sky identical to that which you can view outside and in addition, it has a great advanced date/time feature to allow you to look ahead to see what's coming up and when.

Clear skies for now and enjoy the forum

James

Archived