Hello people

cmsladden

My name is Craig. I am a complete beginner to astronomy but am keen to learn and give it a go.

I am about to buy my first scope and am looking at a Skywatcher Explorer 200p EQ5 Pro GOTO. I really want to attemp astrophotography as well as just star gazing.

So hello all, any advise and help very welcome. :smiley:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Craig and may I say, this will be a serious piece of kit for a 'starter'. Good choice! It will be a great instrument for visual and astrophotography. When you get it, ask any questions you need to here. You will always find the answer you require :)

hi there Craig

Nice set up for a visual scope but not i fear for astrophorography. Some do use this but the EQ5 will be up to its weight limit with the scope and ancillaries.

If you then start putting cameras on etc you will run into issues.

For AP you will need minimum of HEQ5 and preferably to be future proof the NEQ6. I learned this from experience as I bought the exact same set up and then had

to upgrade to NEQ6, trying to save you money in the long run :grin: you will need all you can get for AP :grin:

Regards

Velvet

Hi Craig and welcome to SGL, nice scope and mount you are about to purchase, but before doing so, my first piece of helpful advice is to obtain a copy of Steve Richards "Making Every Photon Count" if you want to immerse yourself in the dark side, as it is affectionately called, it is better to have some basic knowledge of what to expect from the AP side of things, as stumbling round in the dark ( no pun intended ) could cost you money in the long run, as you could end up buying items you don`t really need. To go with your scope download the free program Stellarium, it will assist you in finding objects in the night sky, also a copy of TL@O will help to give you a basic grounding and guide you to some of the interesting targets in the Constellations, as it is written with the small telescope in mind. Seeking out your local Astronomy Soc can be beneficial, as you will be able to discuss your needs with like minded people. Enjoy your Astronomy :)

John.

Thanks for your replys. The main reason for the EQ5 is its 400 quid cheaper than the HEQ5. At the same time I don't want to regret getting the EQ5.

I will also look at those bits (glowjet) as I dont really know what or to look for things.

Welcome to SGL.

It is possible to do DSO imaging with the 200P on an EQ5, but it's not simple. The basic EQ5 is not motorised and a set of motors with the hand controller will cost another £100. Even then there's no mechanism for guiding the scope whilst you're imaging. Quatermass modified the handset to be able to guide from a laptop and if you look up some of his threads you'll see how he did it, but I don't think I'm being exceptionally harsh if I say he's found the hardware a little unreliable. There's additional kit required for guiding too.

I'd definitely second the recommendation to read Steve's book before spending money.

James

Thanks for your replys. The main reason for the EQ5 is its 400 quid cheaper than the HEQ5. At the same time I don't want to regret getting the EQ5.

I will also look at those bits (glowjet) as I dont really know what or to look for things.

yes it is cheaper by quite a bit and there is a reason for that...just dont want you to make the same error I did

Kind regards

Velvet

I will put more thought into the HEQ5. Thanks to all for your comments. I will look at the book and will hold off buying the scope for now. I am in no rush to do things.

I wish i had your patience. i bought the setup you're looking at and while its a great kit for visual i'm learning why the next step up the mount ladder is a good one to take. i will buy a better mount eventually but in the mean time i can't say i'm not enjoying the eq5 pro

best of luck

Scott

I wish i had your patience. i bought the setup you're looking at and while its a great kit for visual i'm learning why the next step up the mount ladder is a good one to take. i will buy a better mount eventually but in the mean time i can't say i'm not enjoying the eq5 pro

best of luck

Scott

The only reason I hesitate at buying the HEQ5 is the extra cost. It then goes from 700 to 1100 pounds which is a lot. I will think more about the HEQ5 but to be honest will probably stick to the EQ5 purely because its better than nothing. I really have a strict 700 pound budget. The wife has put her foot down to any more than that.

Welcome to SGL Craig.

I'm looking into AP too and found Quatermass's thread very useful,also taking advice from him at the moment.For starting out he has given me some pointers like getting the EQ5,RA single axis controller,a 150P scope,350D Canon body only,T adapter,Backyard EOS for the camera.

Hi Craig and welcome to the forum. It's always a tricky thing to balance enthusiasm with considered patience and astrophotography is an area that certainly needs a strategic approach that hopefully can include your ambitions into the longer term. Thinking ahead is also essential if you want to avoid wasting hard earned cash and want true value for money. Like many activities, there can be more than one way to do something for sure, but the balance is ensuring that the harder way to do something is not so onerous as to suffocate any enjoyment or that an alternative technique will not introduce any inconsistency in performance which will add to your frustrations. A quick glance at the imaging sections will inform you what kit people are using in their signatures and ultimately we have to accept this as a consensus of what has been reliably proven to work at a certain price point. Clearly there is no rush to buy anything at the moment, though I would make an exception of Steve's book which is a comprehensive guide from which you will be able to plan how deep you want to go. You have an existing budget but I would argue that a little bit of extra saving over the longer term will make a more than proportionate difference to your capabilities in imaging and your enjoyment.

Clear skies for now and enjoy the forum,

James

(I must say you are all very friendly and helpful. I've never really used forums and i'm quite impressed so far.)

I am a bit torn because the equipment I am looking at seems impressive but I don't want to regret not waiting and getting the HEQ5. However I also don't want the extra expense putting me off all together.

With the equipment I listed will I be able to photograph a 'reasonable' amount. i.e. planets, lunar and some nebulae etc??

Archived