NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi there

Keva161

Hi all,

I've been interested in the cosmos for a while now but after getting a Skywatcher (MAK127?) SkyMax 127 for christmas, I thought i'd make my new hobby formal by creating an account here :D

Due to lack of clear skys (It's been constantly cloudy down here in the South West of England) i've not been able to see anything yet.. except some hills and a telegraph pole.

I'm quite interested in the astrophotography side so will be picking up my first DSLR soon. Thinking the Canon 1100D for now.

Anyway, Hi guys. Look forward to having some discussions and finding out more about this fascinating subject :)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe im being thick, but I can't find the edit option?

Anyway, I assume I can connect a DSLR to the telescope by some sort of adaptor? Is there any other solution that I can DIY with a tripod and some sticky back plastic?

Welcome to SGL.

The 127 Mak is a very nice little scope and as well as being good visually is excellent for imaging the planets, the Moon and, with a suitable filter, the Sun.

I use mine in combination with a DSLR (Canon 450D) for full-disc images of the Sun and Moon (when the weather allows :) using a T-adaptor connected directly onto the visual back (without the diagonal). I also use some software called AstroPhotographyTool (APT) to control the camera via the USB port.

For planetary imaging it's usually easier to use a webcam (though many area far from suitable) modified to fit unless you're willing to spend a three-figure sum on a dedicated planetary imaging camera.

James

Hello and welcome. You will be able to edit your posts when you have accumulated 250 posts. To connect your DSLR bodly to your 127 mak you will need a t-ring and a 1.25" nosepiece such as this one http://www.firstligh...ra-adapter.html .

My 127 Mak came with a visual back that has a T-thread on it, so all that's required is the T-adaptor for the camera. It's entirely possible of course that more recently manufactured models don't have the thread.

James

Hi and welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your new scope though its a shame that the weather has not provided you with a gap in the clouds to test it out properly.

Wishing you clear skies soon and enjoy the forum

James

Archived