first light

stewart4444

Hi

After starting to read books to cure insomnia usually about cyclist i decided to get a book on astronomy, as a few days earlier i had been out on my bike at 6am (kids, only time available) in the middle of nowhere and pitch black and was blown away by the sight above.

So from october i've been reading and hanging around here also sitting in the garden starring up with just eyes.

Had the usual thing of wondering what to buy. ended up deciding on binos and just to get going got some celestron 15x70.

Got them today and by some luck had a clear night, though the moon is nearly full.

Despite the wobber (tripod next purchase) was amazed at what you can see that isnt there with just the eye.

Aimed at the moon and was stunned at the detail, then noticed that jupiter was just off the left and could make out 3 moons.

Then spent ages at the orion neb.

Unfortunatly i didnt have gloves so after about 40 minutes my fingers were freezin so called it a night.

Most pleased with my purchase and the start of a long term hobby.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello and welcome! If you're looking for a cure for insomnia this hobby will do the trick! I've never been so tired in my life as I am after some of those obs sessions. Then again, this can encourage getting up at all hours of night too! (It's in the wee hours now!)

HI Stewart,

I am an avid cyclist myself and here in Norway nothing beats getting to pitch-black areas away from town lights after a few minutes of cycling.

I have a trailer for my children and this should be able to carry my scope and mount easily (rather than precarious panniers or backpack, should I slip off - although I have spiked tyres in the ice) as and when I get it :smiley:

Best of luck

Tony

Hi Stewart and welcome to SGL, if you have not already done so download Stellarium, it will help you find your way about the night sky, and before you obtain that tripod, try an up turned yard broom, with a towel over the bristles, you will find it will help with the jelly wobbles, enjoy your new cure for insomnia, you may find it might just become addictive, lol :icon_santa:

John.

Thanks for the replies. Binosky and stellarium are both excellent.

Got out last night for an hour at 7:30.

Got a view of pleaides while the moon was of to the east.

Also just managed kembles cascade.

Looked for andromeda but couldn't see it.

Hoping for some clear sky's when there's less moonlight.

Archived