Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

TeleVue 55mm plossl

Mr Fiery Jack

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a TV 55 and it was very nice at F15, if a little bright background in semi urban glow..TBH I rate the Meade Japan 4000 56mm as being even better, at around half the used price of the TV:-). They come up for sale now and again. Can only speak for F9 and slower scopes though.

Dave

Like Dave, I had an early vintage Meade 56mm Plossl. Was a nice ep, comfortable to use. As with him, if you see one for sale, it'd be worth consideration. Never tried it on a cassegrain type scope, only my refractors, I think?  Not a lightweight ep ;)

Here's a pic of the one I used to have....

post-381-0-59344200-1447845317.jpg

I think later versions had a different body, but probably the same glass inside.

Andy.

Hi Andy,

Lovely looking eyepiece. I think mine was a later one, it had the ridged band around the body and rubber eyecup, and Japan stamped on the chromed barrel. A proper hand grenade, a bit like my 14mm Meade 14mm UWA..:-)

A friend had it off me for £50 and loves it too.

Dave

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, 25585 said:

I use a 55mm Ploss with my TV Genesis 500mm as finder, giving 9x magnification. Objects are small but bright, good for star hopping.

Probably quite washed out with an 11mm exit pupil?

21 minutes ago, Stu said:

Probably quite washed out with an 11mm exit pupil?

It's not used for anything but getting to a zone. After which I switch to a 35mm Panoptic &/or my Orion Lanthanum LER 20mm 80 deg eps. Celestron Ultima LX 22mm not bad either. All 2 inch. 

It's down here with my TV Genesis waiting to go out and be tested against a Celestron Ultima LX 22mm 2 inch. Also an Antares 1.6x 2 inch Barlow.

The LX is 70 deg claimed and Orion 80 deg claimed. Synta v Long Pern ?

13 hours ago, 25585 said:

It's down here with my TV Genesis waiting to go out and be tested against a Celestron Ultima LX 22mm 2 inch. Also an Antares 1.6x 2 inch Barlow.

The LX is 70 deg claimed and Orion 80 deg claimed. Synta v Long Pern ?

I've measured my 22mm Astro Tech AF70 (Ultima LX brethren) as having exactly 70 degrees AFOV via the flashlight (torch) projection method.

One more important point about these long fl eyepieces is they give you a BIG exit pupil, ie more light. This may result in a bright background depending on your local light pollution. However when combined with a narrowband filter (eg O3), objects like the Veil will be as bright as you will ever be able to see them...

4 hours ago, Froeng said:

One more important point about these long fl eyepieces is they give you a BIG exit pupil, ie more light. This may result in a bright background depending on your local light pollution. However when combined with a narrowband filter (eg O3), objects like the Veil will be as bright as you will ever be able to see them...

Excellent point. My best nebula wide field views are from long FL, large TFOV eps with UHC or OIII filters. 

9 hours ago, Froeng said:

This is why I find my 21mm Ethos somewhat more useful than my 31mm Nagler. I have moderate light pollution to contend with. It's also worth bearing in mind that O-III and UHC filters have optimum recommended exit pupils. Interesting thread on this here back in 2015:

Archived