morning all...

Mop84

Just a quick hello

Just joined the site as I have an interest in astronomy (no knowledge lol) and have literally just picked up my first scope

Celestron Astromaster 130 EQ-MD

I shall be setting this up one night this week when weather permits

I've also got the eyepiece kit and the D-slr adapter as photography is one of my passions, and fancied learning about the skies to eventually, hopefully, take a few pics

Any advice or anything anyone would like to tell, or point me in the direction of, would be greatly appreciated

Thanks all :-)

Alan (Mop84 on Twitter)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Alan,

Welcome aboard. I would purchase Making Every Photon Count book before you jump into astro photogaphy as it will provide you with lots of good info when starting out.

A 130mm tube should do you nicely as a good mid range starter (I have a 130mm Skywatcher).

When you're ready to start viewing and imaging, ask whatever you need to here and you will get a response.

Good luck ;)

H Alan and welcome to the forum. You will no doubt have received a planetarium CD with your scope, but a better piece of free planetarium software can be had and it's called Stellarium, you can read about it and download it from here. It presents the night sky in real time (...it moves! :grin: ) and has lots of interesting features to keep you busy when the clouds come in. It can be configured to your exact viewing location in order to present you will an identical sky to the one you will be observing from your observing site. One of the many useful features is the advance date/time facility that allows you to project forward the night sky to any date or time in the future which is great when planning ahead and to know what to look out for.

Clear skies

James

Archived