Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Edge on Galaxy

adamsp123

I took this back in September and I have lost my notes on which NGC number this is, so if you know please advise me.

40X5mins subs at ISO800 on modded Canon 1000D

SW 120ED scope with flattener/reducer

Guided with QHY5V on finderscope and PHD

Stacked in DSS, processed in PS

Thanks for looking

post-2672-0-49394900-1355604690_thumb.jp

Very nice. I'm in agreement with James's identification, but pushing it through astrometry would probably give you a definite answer. Looks like there are a few other galaxies in the frame, including another pretty much edge-on at the right hand side.

James

Lovely jubbly Pete. Mainly chromatic noise which is quite hard to get rid of. Might benefit from a bit less of a stretch and also a tad less blue?? Nice star colour

Martin - Cheers -" Vous rappez le nail sur le tete" regarding the noise and colour, I will definately give this one another go

And James - yes the other galaxies in the frame are a nice bonus

Very nice. Martin was right about the chromatic noise, ive been looking for a way to overcome this. The first thing I found was to use darks and flats only (no bias), in DSS check "align channels in final image". Also I sometimes have to reduce the red or blue channel slightly using the gamma slider in levels (0.95 usually does enough). Then finally a dose of HLVG to help it along. Just had a fiddle with your photo and managed to reduce the noise a bit (still a bit of a blue/brown background though):

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=80025

post-5513-0-17171200-1355858901_thumb.jp

Very nice. Martin was right about the chromatic noise, ive been looking for a way to overcome this. The first thing I found was to use darks and flats only (no bias), in DSS check "align channels in final image". Also I sometimes have to reduce the red or blue channel slightly using the gamma slider in levels (0.95 usually does enough). Then finally a dose of HLVG to help it along. Just had a fiddle with your photo and managed to reduce the noise a bit (still a bit of a blue/brown background though):

Yes that looks a lot better, I haven't got around to having another fiddle with it - BTW I don't use bias frames

You should either bias or dark subtract your flats. Also you need to apply bias frames to your darks if you are scaling them. You don't need to use bias if you aren't scaling your darks and are also using flat darks.

Archived