NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello From Glasgow

PaulMakin

Hi everyone,

Just to introduce myself: I'm Paul, living in the West of Glasgow, and just trying to move from the early stages of telescope use and become vaguely competent. I had my first successful starhopping session last night, found a few Messier objects that I've failed at before, so I'm feeling pleased today.

I used to have a TAL-150P that was stolen a while back, and I've recently replaced it with a Skywatcher 200 with a motorised mount, which seems like a much better telescope. The lenses that came with it seem quite good, except the Barlow, which makes things bigger, certainly, but blurs them slightly. Anyone else with any experience of that?

Does anyone have any experience of the ASG http://www.theasg.org.uk ? I can't work out how to join, other than spending £4 and going to one of their observing sessions at the Botanics. I assume they do more than that, but what?

Anyway, that's me!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the SGL. Sorry to hear your first telescope was stolen, but you have certainly replaced it with a good one. It is a common problem that the standard equipment barlows are of a low quality, so an upgrade may well serve you well. I am sure many SGL members will be able to make good recommendations to fit your budget.

Clear skies,

Hi Paul. Welcome to SGL. I'm a council member at the ASG so I can help! We run monthly free lectures from September to May. Details of these can be found on our website. We have the use of Glasgow University's Acre Road obsy twice a month from October to March to which all members are welcome. We also have monthly dark sky nights at Mugdock Country Park for members. We run public outreach 'Stars over the Botanics' at the Botanic Gardens monthly from October to March and two 'Sun over the Botanics' in April and September. Twice a year we go for a dark skies weekend in deepest Perthshire. We also have an annual outing to somwehere of astronomical interest. If you are interested in joining, please email our membership secretary membership@theasg.org.uk who will soon sort you out.

Hi Paul. Welcome to SGL. I'm a council member at the ASG so I can help! We run monthly free lectures from September to May. Details of these can be found on our website. We have the use of Glasgow University's Acre Road obsy twice a month from October to March to which all members are welcome. We also have monthly dark sky nights at Mugdock Country Park for members. We run public outreach 'Stars over the Botanics' at the Botanic Gardens monthly from October to March and two 'Sun over the Botanics' in April and September. Twice a year we go for a dark skies weekend in deepest Perthshire. We also have an annual outing to somwehere of astronomical interest. If you are interested in joining, please email our membership secretary membership@theasg.org.uk who will soon sort you out.

Hi, thanks for that, it's really helpful. I'll email.

Paul

Archived