Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Throwing this completely open!!

Right here it goes....huge apologies for probably a unaswerable question....but......Where do i start with AP??

I'm just about to order my new mount NEQ6 Pro to go with my SW 250 and after reading so many posts and looking at so many awesome pictures....i just want to know what im going to need??

Just basic requirements and kit to get the image from the EP onto the laptop?? A good all round camera to start with is probably going to be the best place to start!!

Im sorry to post such a basic and vague question but i just want to be pointed in the right direction!!

I understand everyones opinions are different and different kit is needed for different needs but i literally just want to point,shoot and decipher just to get me started. Hopefully i can get to learn what im doing with a basic set up then later on(roughly 10 years when i can afford the 'proper' kit) i can start to build up from the basic.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this post and any ideas and suggestions will be warmly welcomed!!

Many Thanks

Gaz

You start by buying (and reading, obviously :) a book called "Making Every Photon Count" from FLO.

That should help you focus on what you want to achieve and how to get there and should hopefully prevent you spending money on things that you don't want or need.

James

Firstly, what do you want to image? I ask as DSO imaging requires very different stuff to lunar or planetary. What is your budget? Always a consideration as AP can be a total wallet emptying experience.

If you are wanting to image DSO's then can I suggest your very next purchase should be the book 'Making Every Photon Count' available from the FLO book section. It will be the best £20 you ever spend and will save you a lot of hassle as you come to grips with AP.

First on the agenda. Buy making every photon count. Best you need to work out what u want to image. Planetary and Luna need a webcam. DSO need either a dslr or a camera. I started out with a dslr and a eq2 and have now progressed onto a dslr and astrotrac. Going to AP isn't cheap. I tried to do it on a budget and in the process have spent what must be over a grand and a lot less and Gray hair so just be aware it's not as easy as taking a few photos. 99% of the images on here have had to go through a processing stage of hours spent in photoshop... But first things first. Read making every photon count. Best £20 I ever spent and it's author is also a well respected member and contributor to sky at night mag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You start by buying (and reading, obviously :) a book called "Making Every Photon Count" from FLO.

That should help you focus on what you want to achieve and how to get there and should hopefully prevent you spending money on things that you don't want or need.

James

Agree 110% !!

+ 1 on 'Making Every Photon Count'.

Really you need a DSLR camera, a T-Ring, A Bahtinov mask and some kind of auto timer/cable for the camera; you can get away with this as a minimum for short exposures on DSOs. If you only want to do planetary, you need a webcam and Registax or some similar program.

Thanks guys....i'm kind of thinking a book first...every photon count!! :grin:

As for what i'd like to image,id like to start with lunar,then moving onto planetary and DSO's and i also like the solar images than can be produced ...but trying not to get too far ahead :lipsrsealed:

The imaging and processing part of the cycle both scares me and fascinates me at the same time....wouldn't know where to start!!

I'm prepared for it to be a costly road to travel down but as i said earlier,if i can start off and 'learn the ropes' with some 'budget' kit,then i may actually know what i'm doing when it comes to upgrading in 10 years time!! :p

So my new book will be ordered once i've put this last full stop in.........

No need to start with lunar then on to planetary. They can be done together along with solar with your current kit and a webcam and some solar film for the solar imaging. Once you decide to move to DSO's that's when it gets expensive and complicated!

Paul

I'm hoping my company will be feeding me a bit more profit when it comes to the DSO's Paul! :Envy:

Thanks for the link skywatcher,i'll take a look.

Book has been purchased.....along with the new mount.....might have to explain that to my accountant tomorrow :grin: ....thank goodness for dividends!!!

I would recomend a decent guide cam. Most can capture planets and lunar no problem on there own and when you start to look at dso, youve already got the guide cam.

However I have a QHY5v guide cam and am only just starting to get decent images of jupiter as there is a lot to learn and time as well as money are your biggest investments.

Rab.

Archived