NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Anyone else just set up and had clouds roll in?

davesparx

The darned frustration of setting up, getting laptop, guidecam.....ready to do 3 star align and clouds rolled in,.,,,,

I though that it was supposed to be a clear night??

Wine time I think....

Anyone else waiting in the garden, too? :-)

David

For once things went to plan. Set up in my back garden by 7pm (after faffing with an uncooperative laptop), then did as many 20min subs as I could with an Ha filter of the Heart nebula. I've just broken down the kit & brought it into the house. The sky is still very clear, but I've got work in the morning.

What a lightweight!

Had the scope out cooling for some Jupiter imaging, but hadn't set everything else up (had to wait until 9pm for it to come over the roof of the house anyhow). Cloud has spoiled the party though.

James

I've lost count of the times that has happened to me. Comes with the territory I guess.

I had a late night last night and early start with work tomorrow so just a couple of hours visual for me tonight. Seeing was pretty dire, so Jupiter wasn't great but spotted two new deep sky objects: NGC281 the Pacman (10" Dob, 20mm XW + UHC) and NGC40 / Caldwell 2 a fairly big bright planetary in Cepheus, flanked by two red stars. Best with a 10mm XW but neither UHC or Oiii helped here.

I nearly never set mine up at all due to clouds coming in but it's cleared so the DSLR is clicking away nicely. There's no dew forming anywhere either which is a plus as I don't own any dewbands yet.

I only lasted 45 mins cos I hadn't wrapped up well enough. Head and body were fine as well wrapped up. But feet were freezing & knees knocking cos didnt bother with boots or leggings so went inside.

However I managed another object of Moores winter marathon though, NGC 1647. Wasn't the best view with my scope but will bag it again when I get my bigger scope tomorrow now i know where it is :smiley:

Archived