This site came highly recommended

dtothill

Hi,

My names is Dan and I work at a big blue electronics store...Had a customer the other day who was really into astrophotography and he highly recommended this site. I think I can see why already!

My primary interests are learning more about astronomy and getting as much use out of my camera as possible. I just picked up a Sony NEX-5N this fall and love it. I've taken some star photos but have a lot of room for improvement. Hopefully I'll be able to find some motivation/support here to keep going!

Thanks,

Dan

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Dan!

You came to the right place if you're into visual or photographic astronomy. THere is a lot to learn about DSO AP, to start off on the right track you should have a look at Steve's book "making every photon count".

Welcome on board!

Hi Dan,

Greetings from Old Hampshire (Isle of Wight) and welcome to SGL - not qualified to speak on the AP, but this is a great forum with some great contributors, so certain you will find some excellent advice to keep you motivated.

I'll sit back and admire the pictures once you're up and running

All the best - Jake

Hi Dan and welcome to the forum. I would agree with the above recommendation regarding Steve Richards' book, "Making Every Photon Count" (FLO £19.95) you can read more about it here. It will advise you on all that you need to know on how to take good consistent images. People naturally focus on the kit required to capture an image of their chosen object but it is important to remember that the processing of that captured data plays a vital part in constructing the final image and although there are many great bits of software out there that are free to download and use, equally there will be one or two others that will need to be paid for. The above book will certainly provide you with the necessary overview in all these areas so that you can make an informed decision on how deep you want to go and the resulting budget required.

Clear skies and enjoy the forum.

James

Welcome Dan. That recommendation was correct. This is the friendliest and best informed astro site around. As your interest developes. everything you'll ever need to know is here. just ask. Don't worry if your question may seem a bit basic, everyone has had to start somewhere :smiley:

Look forward to seeing some of your pictures (we do like pictures here)

Good luck and clear skies

Jason

Hi Dan and welcome to SGL.

This is a great site and there are tons of helpful folk here. There is never a stupid question to ask. Everyone offers great advice.

I too recommend Steve's book "Making every photon count"

I have it myself and it's very informative and simple. Not like some books that think you have 3 yrs AP under your belt already, this book starts from the beginning and "holds your hand" all the way through. It's fantastic.

All the best and clear skies

stephen

Archived