Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

tonights forecast

Daniel-K

I've had clear skies all day with hardly any wind, as soon as I get home from work and its starts getting dark........the biggest, thickest, blackest cloud i've seen in months rolls in, laughing at me.

The Beeb says clear all night for me. However, I'm just on the northern fringe of that huge front moving across the country and unfortunately it looks as if my house is maybe 10 miles too far south! :(. So I'll probably end up popping in and out periodically with the bins! :D

The Met Office says clear from 6pm until gone midnight. Sat24 says there's a socking great cloud that's skirted around the north of the Bay of Biscay and should be over us shortly. Surely both of them can't be right?

James

Well, I'm sat outside all set up and it's masses of clout atm. Managed to get polar aligned in a largish gap, but it might have been a bit pointless looking towards where the clouds are coming from.

Been out doing a bit of Lunar while waiting for darkness, it's now a bit cloudy and the moon is washing most things out, could only just see M45. Had a quick look at Alcor/Mizar, you see something new every time out, although I have looked at this countless times it wasn't until tonight that I realised I could see all the components in my low powered EP(x23.5).

Just popped in while Jupiter climbs a bit higher over my neighbours' house and then will be having a look at that. Just checked on moons' positions and notice that Callisto is widely separated from it's parent, wonder if I'll get them all in the FOV.

Hope to finish the evening exploring Auriga if I'm not covered in dew by then as it seems very damp.

Trying to image the Heart Nebula in Ha from my urban back garden. Although the moon is at about 70% illuminated, as a learner I want to compare results to Galloway a week ago when it was moonless and dark. Just tried a 10 min sub (looks iffy) and am now doing a 15 min sub, but I'm not expecting much from it. Maybe its worth hanging on until the moon sets.

We got lucky last night with the weather. I could see a wall of cloud to the south for hours but it kept away until fog did us in in the wee hours. Sometimes the gamble doesn't pay off, but it's nice when it does, that was a close one! Jupiter alone was worth the set up, it was photographic quality :) Only the second time I've seen it sharp at 300x mag.

Archived