NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What do you do with all your data?

Let's say you are capturing dozens of subs and dark's in a night. After you have created an image what do you do with the data you built the image from - all the darks and lights etc? Even in my fledgling AP career I have amassed a couple of gigs worth of data and that's with the weather as bad as its been.

Do you guys delete it after building the best image you can get out of it? Do you save the raw stack image from each set of data? Also, when you finally "get" your final proper image how do you save the actual image? I have been been snipping it with Windows 7 from PS (not knowign how to save a jpeg from within PS... :confused: ). What format do you use to save the final image so it can be viewed with general photo viewing software?

Rgds, Steve

I keep all my intermediate and original calibrated data and store it on an external hard drive as well as on a my processing PC. I overwrite my calibration files at the next session as they have already done their job. I save my finished work as a PhotoShop PSD file complete with all layers and for display on my website I save in two sizes of JPEG with the minimum compression level available.

This way I can return to my base (but calibrated) data at any time to start again or continue where I left off with my PSD file.

Each to their own. I call that hoarding I think :). Going to delete all mine and only keep the "finished" photo and the master Dss output file so I can tinker later. In your experts case I suppose the master data has more value than my meagre first attempts!

Thanks for your thoughts guys.

Rgds, Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's too deeply ingrained. As a programmer I'd never throw data away unless it needed to be or the volume was too great to make it useful or if it can be recreated exactly from other data.

I even have all my email archives going back to the early 90s :)

James

To create jpeg from PS, you need to make it 8-bit first.

I save all my individually calibrated frames, and delete the uncalibrated ones every few months, along with out of date darks and flats. I keep all my data on a NAS (with daily backup to my main PC, plus backup to two external USB drives, one of which is kept off site - the really important data is also backup up to cloud storage in real time too).

I generally keep the raw files and the calibrate/stacked master that comes out of nebulosity together with any final processed versions.

If I image an object that I've done before, I check the previous result and if it's total rubbish compared to the latest attempt (which is almost always the case), I delete the earlier effort entirely.

As long as I am happy with the results then I delete all the data and just keep the finished images - especially as I shoot on a 16mb DSLR in the main, so just a few hundred subs adds up to many gb's of data. I'm not one to go back on something anyway and would prefer to start again if I wanted to revisit a subject.

Archived