SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

what do you dream?

Vince1963

Hi Guys.. I mentioned in a previous post that i sometimes wake up and realise i've been dreaming about astronomy. I dreamt this morning about trying to see M81 and M82, But this isn't all... I am always dreaming about something astronomical. Anyone else dream about it?, Or am i a weirdo... Come on guys don't hold back lol. :icon_rolleyes:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I gave up teaching for astronomy over ten years ago and would dearly LOVE to dream about the stars. What actually happens is that I have recurrent nightmares about being in front of a class with nothing prepared and not an idea in my head of what to do. I had a variation of it this morning. Sometimes I find myself wandering round a school knowing I ought to be in front of a class but somehow not having bothered to turn up. I'm thus wracked with guilt but can then never find the class. WIll I ever be free of it??

Olly.

I dream wierd things all the time, not just astronomy related!

I had a dream I remember where I spent hours viewing Andromeda (at some point my telescope disappeared and my eyes were the eyepieces!). I would occasionally look away and when I looked back it had got closer and bigger, and then it started changing shape, like it was dancing. I then semi-woke and muttered to my wife about Andromeda shuffling around the quilt covers or something (apparently) :lol:

Hi Olly... It sounds like you miss teaching to me.. Maybe you ought to still do it on a part time basis maybe go round schools doing talks or something similar. Maybe you feel you have more to do, teaching as obviously been a very big part of your life :laugh:

Hi Euphony... That is strange.. I have had a similar dream, Its a bit vague now but i remember not having a scope, that my eye's where the scope and they where really big almost popping out of there sockets and i could see everything. :smiley:

You're not alone... Recently I had a very vivid dream that I was standing in a room, looking at the Orion nebula through a small, but very expensive refractor which I was just holding in my hands (no mount) and pointing at the window - In the dream I was stunned by how this hand-held refractor was showing a hubble-like image with vivid colours and felt a bit miffed that all I could see through my Lightbridge was variations of grey.

Hate to think what Freud would have made of the telescope envy !!!

I gave up teaching for astronomy over ten years ago and would dearly LOVE to dream about the stars. What actually happens is that I have recurrent nightmares about being in front of a class with nothing prepared and not an idea in my head of what to do. I had a variation of it this morning. Sometimes I find myself wandering round a school knowing I ought to be in front of a class but somehow not having bothered to turn up. I'm thus wracked with guilt but can then never find the class. WIll I ever be free of it??

Olly.

Teach the dream class astronomy!

You're not alone... Recently I had a very vivid dream that I was standing in a room, looking at the Orion nebula through a small, but very expensive refractor which I was just holding in my hands (no mount) and pointing at the window - In the dream I was stunned by how this hand-held refractor was showing a hubble-like image with vivid colours and felt a bit miffed that all I could see through my Lightbridge was variations of grey.

Hate to think what Freud would have made of the telescope envy !!!

Hi Jim.. I wish we could hand hold our scopes, It would make things a lot easier and less expensive lol. :smiley:

Hi Guys.. I mentioned in a previous post that i sometimes wake up and realise i've been dreaming about astronomy. I dreamt this morning about trying to see M81 and M82, But this isn't all... I am always dreaming about something astronomical. Anyone else dream about it?, Or am i a weirdo... Come on guys don't hold back lol. :icon_rolleyes:

OK..your a weirdo..Muhahahaha :D

I don't really know, I never remember dreams and I am convinced that I do not dream, the last ones i recall were as a child and they really were weird...I think i may have seen an episode of the Prisoner or something as the dream involved being chased by giant ball bearings...not sure if that was a sign i would be an engineer, but coincidental...

I would admit to "daydreaming" sometimes when work is slow or I am waiting for something..or in a very boring meeting, and that often entails not being on the planet...so I suppose I am as weird as you...

Up the weirdos is all I have to say to that i suppose :rolleyes:

OK..your a weirdo..Muhahahaha :D

being chased by giant ball bearings...

I used to have the very same dream as a child, giant ball bearings on flat seemingly endless surface with nothing to hide behind and a strange eerie sound.

The most predominant and the only recent one i recall is one where i am wearing glasses but realise that i don't actually need them to see but at the same time i can not take them off, i have in more than one dream forced myself to remove them and realised after a few seconds of focusing my eyes are okay but i still put them straight back to feel comfortable. I had laser surgery in 1997 and wore glasses for 8 years and the only time i took them off was to observe and go to bed.

now who's the weirdo ?

I've only ever had one astronomy dream. The other night I woke up thinking I had seen a really bright meteor saw it explode. I couldn't remember if I had actually seen a meteor the night before and then the dream confused things.

I used to have the very same dream as a child, giant ball bearings on flat seemingly endless surface with nothing to hide behind and a strange eerie sound.

That is freaky, that is a perfect description of the dream i used to have..I think they stopped when I was about 6 years old...I wonder if we saw the same program that sparked it..perhaps The Prisoner or maybe a Doctor Who episode...

I think we are mutual weirdo's!! :D

I have had full blown "conversations" with people here and the next day when i come online to continue the topic,i cant find a trace of them. My comments are not being deleted. I am dreaming of being in here and having those conversations.

Not enough Guinness Paul...:)

I have had full blown "conversations" with people here and the next day when i come online to continue the topic,i cant find a trace of them. My comments are not being deleted. I am dreaming of being in here and having those conversations.

That's weird Paul.. Welcome to the weirdo's club lol... :grin: :grin: :grin::icon_salut:

I've had dreams in the Welsh language and woken up not having a clue about what was said :grin:

your not on your own Simon.. Even Welsh people don't understand each other lol... Sorry fellow welsh guy's i'm only joking... :grin:

your not on your own Simon.. Even Welsh people don't understand each other lol... Sorry fellow welsh guy's i'm only joking... :grin:

I was brought up on a hill farm in North Wales but Welsh isn't my first language. I think it's amazing that my sleeping brain must remember the language but my waking brain hasn't got much of a clue nowadays (not just about Welsh either :grin: )

I had a dream turned nightmare last night. I was outside with the 'scope when all the streetlights in the town went off, leaving beautifully dark skies. I went inside to make tea and to tell everyone else. I came back out to see terenchal rain and my garden flooding with the scope floating away. I went outside this morning when i woke up just to check if it was ok. Occasionally I dream about going to a dark site and seeing Betelgeuse go off, always a nice one to have. :)

I do much worse dreams then that, all influenced by my childhood dream to go to space or to land on another world out there.

When I was about 10 years old I dreamed myself in the foots of Neil Armstrong when stepping down the ladder in the first moon landing. 2 years ago I came back to the hobby and, when I bought my 200P from FLO (at the begin of this year) such dreams came back again.

When Mars was high in the sky I actually dreamed to be on a spaceship on Mars, looking out of the window and seeing the reddish, lonely, cold and rocky mars landscape and getting ready to get out. That dream felt so real and detailed that it still gives me adrenaline when I think about it :D

I also dreamed to be in the ISS ready to leave to go back to Earth. A hatch was opened and I had no spacesuit. The Earth was "below" me. There was a Soyuz spacecraft a few metres away and I had to jump into it passing through the void. The scene suggested my brain some "cold feeling" (although you are not supposed to feel freezing in the vacuum :rolleyes: )

I then got back consciousness and thought "hey hey, ISS astronauts do not leave the ISS without spacesuits and do not get into the Soyuz by jumping into the vacuum, they would pass out in a few seconds!!!!" that thought dissolved the dream and woke me up, shocked but with a smile: I had just realised that before going to sleep I watched a movie (let's consider it a movie) named "Sunshine" where a bunch of folks, due to some crazy circumstances, were jumping from a spacecraft to another without spacesuit, and ended up almost frozen :lipsrsealed: .

The latest dream was influenced by looking at some Venus pictures here on SGL and reading about some Soviet and US manned Venus flyby's theorised back in the 60's and 70's.

In this dream, I basically found myself inside a house (in the middle of an Eucalyptus wood). It was night time and the temp was very hot, as it would be somewhere in the mediterranean sea during the summer :) Out of the living room window I could see a great amount of low level fog, yet the sky looked clear and totally starred :angry3: : that was the Venus planet of my dream (Yes, I know you wouldn't see a star on Venus due to the thick atmosphere!). I then took a small (Newtonian!) telescope and went out "to do some imaging with my brand new SPC900": that was supposed to be the first step out in Venus soil (yet I wonder: how did I get into that house?). Outside was very warm and humid, and I could barely breathe (without Spacesuit, again :) ) I then woke up with the feeling that and realised that the scene was nothing else then a Eucalyptus wood as those implanted in the south of Sardinia, and the climate was nothing else then Sardinia during the summer and the small newtonian was the Konus scope I used in my childhood down there :D I know dreams are weird, but I'm still wondering why my brain gave me images of Sardinia as being Venus: isn't that false advertisement ;):grin:

Archived