Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ZW Optical ASI120MC Unboxing and eventually First Light.

StuW

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just put in an order for one 120mc today from 365 at £248.hope its worth it over the Phillips 880.

bob.

hi Alec, just received my asi120mc it looks a very nice little camera. on unboxing I found that the allsky  lense has three black flecks of something inside it.

connecting it up and ran a few avi's  indoors on laptop with sharpcap. all seems well and I could not see anything of the flecks showing............as yet fingers crossed.

waiting now for weather to clear for real test. :laugh:

bob.

I got mine from 365 but I don't remember any extra charges. Maybe I should keep quiet :grin:

that would be because it didn't shop from Hong Kong :) I think it just about worked out cheaper to order direct but only just. I'm still waiting for a chance to try mine out !

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I didn't get a breakdown just a total to pay, so I'd assume if you wanted to estimate it for just the camera take the fraction of the total price.  I've used this tax calculator before btw and it seems okay:  http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/

I managed to get out with the camera today for some white light imaging - I'm just processing the data now  :grin:

Hi John

Taken the plunge and ordered from 365astronomy, easier to return if things go wrong!

hi alec, had my first try on Thursday night at mars then Saturn. mars was very bad all over the place.

Saturn was better but lower, just above neighbours house. I did not get the fps I wanted but I did manage up to 46fps.

overall I do think the camera will be a good step up from my Phillips 880 .picture quality a lot better,and also you have deepsky option to.

I have processed my avi's,they are a lot better than I expected. waiting now for some decent nights to get used to camera and settings... :laugh:

bob.

ps..tried to upload a pic but wouldn't work.

I'd say that you shouldn't go expecting a large immediate improvement in your images just from changing the camera, to be honest.  I upgraded from an SPC900 to an ASI120MC a couple of years ago and it took me a while to get the hang of it.  Certainly the images I captured in the first few sessions weren't that much better than the ones I'd managed with the SPC900, but six months later it was a completely different situation.

James

What do you put that down to James?

Got some runs with the new camera on Saturn and the moon last night, not the best of conditions, scope moving in the wind and not particularly clear sky. However, when processing avi's Registax doesn't seem to allow me to view the individual images when I move the slider across  to pick a good frame to add align points. Any ideas?

Moon avi's look reasonable given the poor conditions. Saturn don''t look much, but can't seem to process them!

I think it's just getting used to the fact that different cameras perform differently.  With the SPC900 I'd found a range of settings that worked really nicely with my 127 Mak.  Those same settings were not good with the ASI120MC, and in fact some of the things I'd learnt as "good rules to follow" didn't apply with the new camera.  Quite the opposite in some cases, in fact.

James

• 7 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I've just bought the ZWO ASI120MC from Tring Astornomy Centre (highly recommend them - very nice helpful people, Jane & Neil). Value for money it's hard to beat, although I have found planetary imaging can be challenging. I have a Meade LX90-8" and the best result I have achieved so far is - but I've also managed a lot of rubbish!  :smiley:

post-10577-0-38699700-1424857336.jpg

• 10 months later...

Archived