Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ZW Optical ASI120MC Unboxing and eventually First Light.

StuW

Hi all

I recently started looking around for a new camera for guiding and Planetary / Lunar but couldn't afford the current favorite, the DMK. Researching around various forums and good old Google I came across the cameras from ZW Optical. Their current most sensitive they have (reportedly ~75%QE) are the ASI120MM and ASI 120MC being Mono and 12bit Colour respectively both being $298 or £188 with current exchange rates.

I chose the the colour version as I didn't want to need to buy colour filters at a later date. I ordered on 9th Nov and the package was delivered to day on the 15th Nov, so great service considering the distance it had to travel.

The package came by DHL Express.

IMAG0076.jpg

inside was another grey bag with some Asian writing on.

IMAG0077.jpg

Inside that bag was a box with an image of the camer on.

IMAG0079.jpg

Inside the box was the camera itself in a flawless anodized red with an already fitted 150 degree lens , A 1.8m USB lead, an M42 -> 1.25" nosepiece and a 1.25" IR filter.

IMAG0080.jpg

A closer look at the camera and lens itself.

IMAG0081.jpg

I thought I'd been very lucky not to get customs charges until I looked at the copy of the export invoice.

Well, that;s the unboxing, all I need now is a clear night when I'm not working for first light....

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Post updates on the camera, I saw them a few months back and wondered what they were like.

Their web site is a bit strange.

Yours by their naming convention should be 1.2 mega pixels,

The page for it under their Online Shop say 2 mega pixels:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/ZWO-Astronomy-Camera-ASI120MM-Free-shipping/311206_647449237.html

Under the ZO Optical page it says Max Resolution 0.35 mega pixels under the heading Specification:

http://www.zwoptical.com/Eng/Cameras/ASI120/index.asp

Hope you get images like Saturn and Jupiter as on the first link.

Well, managed to get first light tonight on M57 and Jupiter.

M57, no guiding, no polar alignment, 10x20sec, 9 darks stacked in Registax 6, curves and stuff in CS6

m57-dss.jpg

Jupiter with Ganymede on the limb of the disk Io further out and the GRS.

2xbarlow, 1min of 21fps, best 40% stacked in Registax and colour boosted a tad in CS6

Capture21_11_201221_36_24.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a word of warning I bought an ASI 120MC from the site in hong kong ordered it on friday came monday very qiuck but a whopping £73.00 VAT and Import duty to pay before delivery.

But still pleased with the camera. but a lot poorer!!

Hi all:

I ordered the mono ZWO, complete with filters and filter wheel.  Should be arriving in the next week or two hopefully.  I believe the total was $591.00 Canadian (with taxes). 

Cheers

Roger

I just got mine - ASI120MM with filter wheel & filters (unexpected loss of webcam prompted an early upgrade).  Also got a large import tax bill to pay - about £73 I think, which I wasn't expecting.  Perhaps it's because 365 are stocking them?  Nice kit though, I can't wait to try it out (if the weather ever improves).  

Archived