NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Brand new to all this and wanting help please

Hello all, names Steve, age 49 if that matters and very interested in astrology..

I shall give you a quick overview of why I am here and what i am about.

I have always been very keen to learn more about the cosmos/universe/meaning of life etc. I have studied much on TV and in literature by people such as great men like Newton, Patrick Moore, Stephen hawkings and more recently watched the universe series by Brian Cox that only deepened my interest. There is more but I shan't bore you.

Anyway, i went to a charity function two weeks sincce and there was an auction including in it a Celestron Astromaster 130EQ. I bid for and won the said item for £100 which I now believe was quite a bargain. So like any usual person bought the goods and now i am asking the questions.

So before i get round to using it, i am filled with many questions after reading up on websites including these about stargazing and things needed to do so.

1. I believe my telescope to be a good starters kit. But after reading on here, I want to know do i need a better spotting scope. i have to admit the one fitted doesnt look to be the best quality but its only my thought.

2. What is a Barlow lense and is it essential for me.

3. Do i need a special filter for the telescope for viewing the moon.

There is loads more i could ask but these are the questions that wanted answering before i start. I am sure there are loads of threads in the forum i could read and I will take time to rummage around later but for now just wanted a quich start guide as it were.

Regards, Steve.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello

Astrology or astronomy? Or both? ;)

1) I have no idea on the quality of your finder, I use my stock spotting scope now and since I have a GOTO I really dont care that much, however, people have spoken well about Telrad finders. You should check those out.

2) A barlow increases the magnification of the eyepiece you're using. You can either use a barlow, or get more eyepieces, its up to preference, but you can get more focal lenghts from a limited number of eyepieces by using one barlow. Some people prefer to put money down on more eyepieces instead. Keep in mind that if you buy EP's and a barlow, try not to make their magnifications overlap... example: If you have a 25mm and a 2x barlow, this turns the 25mm into a 12.5mm. So therefore it would be useless to buy a 13mm on top of that. However if you have a 25mm and a 8mm EP and a barlow, you get less overlap since the 25 and 10 will be transformed into 12.5mm and 4mm respectively. Also worth noting at this point is that the focal lenghts of scopes and EP's work oppositely. A high power scope will have a high focal length, while a high power EP, will have a low mm-number.

3) You will most likely want a moon filter for viewing the moon, since it's very bright compared to stars you risk being blinded and losing your night vision. It's not dangerous to view the moon with a scope, but most people find it impractical and annoying to get blasted with the full brightness of the moon. I sometimes use my moon filter on Jupter aswell.

Before you get your wallet out take your scope out and use it a few times, that way you will know where the problems (if any) are.

A Barlow is a lens that is placed between your scope and eyepiece to increase the focal length of the scope and thereby give greater magnification. Magnification is calculated by dividing the focal length of the telescope by the focal length of the eyepiece. By using for example a 2x Barlow the magnification will be doubled.

Some of us use a neutral density filter when the moon is near full to cut down the glare, purely personal choice so try without and see how you go.

I assume that you mean finder scope.

The ones supplied are as ever fairly basic, that being said you could try other types and not get along with them.

A Right Angle Finder is often the first "upgrade", easier as you are not looking along the main body of the scope.

Perhaps a telrad, abit more complex but many like.

I cannot say which as like many aspects it is personel.

Try it first if you get along \ok then no rush for another.

Barlow Lens, a simple "magnifier" a 2x barlow will simply make the image 2 times bigger with any eyepiece used with it.

Effectively it makes a 10mm eyepiece into a 5mm eyepiece.

Is it essential, well no it isn't. Buy a 10mm eyepiece and a 5mm eyepiece.

The advantage is that it works with any eyepiece, so if you have a 10mm 15mm and 25,, eyepiece add the barlow and you get a 5mm, 7.5mm and a 12.5mm as well.

The catch is that you need a good barlow as otherwise the image can be poor when it is used.

I do not have a barlow, I prefer individual eyepieces.

The moon can be bright, so some use a neutral density filter to simply lessen the brightness. What level to use I do not know, again personel. You might like a 40% one (reflects 40%) others may like a 60%.

One word, owning a scope does not suddenly enlightnen you with the secrets of the universe, and these days very little insight at all is gained. Like the vast number of us you will be looking at things discovered many years ago. Astronomy is not done through a scope now, it is done at a keyboard and with a big computer.

Thanks for the swift replies both you guys, I will do as you both advise and try the scope first before splashing the cash out. However seeing as my first aim is to study the moon and then rest of our solar system in detail, I think a filter is a deff requirement.

Incidentally, i looked at this spotter scope in case i get to enjoy this (which i know i shall) and wondered if anyone has any thoughts on it as it isnt to expensive.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190619969463?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Or has anyone got a Celestron 130 and use an alternative?

I appreciate any help.

Regards, Steve

One word, owning a scope does not suddenly enlightnen you with the secrets of the universe, and these days very little insight at all is gained. Like the vast number of us you will be looking at things discovered many years ago. Astronomy is not done through a scope now, it is done at a keyboard and with a big computer.

I realise the last bit ronin, I have been studying the cosmos for years through the media of my PC. But I never tire of looking up into the sky and just wondering what it is all about. So all i want is to do more of the same but just that little bit closer. Thanks for the kind words non the less

Steve.

That looks like a reasonable starting point. The fact you can dim the spot is important...Some only have one setting and, as you usually calibrate these in daylight, you find it is far too bright against a black sky.

As you say it's not expensive and they really are useful.

Happy stargazing.

Remember 42.

Hi Steve,

I can vouch for the u/g to the finder - I brought an astromaster 114EQ for my six year old son for some moon spotting, and find the Celestron red dot finder almost useless except in daylight - perhaps it my eyes/age!

The star pointer is much more useful, once aligned to the scope - a raised telrad or right angled finder is nicer to use but more expensive, well worth it though in the longer run.

If you do take it off, hang on to the old finder just in case you want to sell the scope on at some point.

BR - Jake

Goodness this can go on and on.

Just had a bit more of a nosey and assuming I decide to try to improve my telescope, does anyone have an opinion on this?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestron-94307-AstroMaster-Accessory-Kit/dp/B004KMC0UC/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1352669938&sr=1-3

To me it looks very good value but what does anyone else think.

Steve.

My advice would be to not start out with the telescope, just use your eyes for a while as they get dark adapted and see what you are able to see. Frame Jupiter between Alnath and Aldebaren, check out M 45 just north of it, the beauty of Orion and of M 42, and so on.

It is beginning like this and seeing what you can only see with your naked, unaided eyes that you will begin to appreciate what a telescope may have to offer, or before going down that line, to come to the realisation that apart from the Moon, most of the stuff you are ever likely to see is so far away, at such cosmic distances that at best most objects are going to look like pretty pricks of light, a colourful pea or a bright grey splodge, and you can pack in before forking out on more expensive gear.

This is a rather subtle hobby and to sum it I'd say stargazing is the art of tweaking out barely visible and extremely subtle detail from objects very, very far away from us. If you like the intelllectual side of things - as you seem to have indicated - we could add to our definition and say it is also the pursuit of informing ourselves of what we have seen to what we already know.

You have a Newtonian and it's a relatively fast scope, an f5, so you'll need to collimate it quite regularly. If I were you, before thinking about purchasing anything, I'd use a little money for a collimation tool like a Cheshire and collimation cap. If you don't do a little collimating, you're not really going to know or appreciate what your telescope is capable of, you're going to end up with poor visual images and cripple the aperture of your reflector. As it is, with your telescope well collimated and the supplied EPs, you'll easily have mind-blowing views of star-fields, wonderful sights of the Moon, of its shadows and craters, and planets like Jupiter will reveal its 4 biggest moons and banding.

I'd also suggest that you forget all about filters for now, that is, until you know the limits and capabilities of your telescope and know what you like looking at. You dont need a Moon filter, for example. Sure, the Moon is bright when there is a full moon, but so what? That's the worst time to observe the Moon because there is no shadow and there is no contrast. When it is not full, just look at it unfiltered and you will see more.

After a few sessions with your well collimated telescope, you might want to consider up-grading the eyepieces, for the supplied 10mm and 20mm are probably not that great and are more than likely doing an injustice to your primary mirror. Your reflector is going to be a wonderful instrument for scanning Milky Way star fields, open star clusters, globulars and other large astronomical objects. In view of this, and in light of the rather poor finderscope, you might want to think about getting a decent widefield plossl of say around 32mm and a Telrad. That way, not only do you have a lovely EP to scan the cosmos but it doubles with the Telrad as an excellent tool for learning the art of star hopping. If you then purchased a decent x2 barlow, you've effectively doubled your EP case.

Overall, I think you should have a lot of fun with this scope. Check out sketches to get an idea of what you will be viewing, dress warmly and take your time. Oh, and welcome to SGL, bomberbaz :icon_salut:

congratulations on your scope steve,welcome to the forums. hope you enjoy looking up . agree about the finder, its useless behond belief. the best thing to make locating objects is a telrad or rigel finder.for around £30 you'll not regret it( i speak as someone who went from the same finder on the celestron to a telrad) it makes a world of difference. and as already mentioned,a collimation tool would be an idea too. theres little more you need to get going .

happy nights..

Thanks for the last reply qualia and rory, some good advice there before the impestuous side of me goes and shells out a fortune on extras.

I shall take your advice on board and look at both items mentioned and take it from there. :-)

Steve, you will not be able to edit you post until to you reach 250 postings, then you will have 20 minutes to carry out any amendments. As you may have gathered Astrology is not a well liked word on the forum, but do not worry, the man who never made a mistake never made anything, enjoy your Astronomy :)

John.

Just had a bit more of a nosey and assuming I decide to try to improve my telescope, does anyone have an opinion on this?

http://www.amazon.co...52669938&sr=1-3

Steve.

Steve, do not get a kit like this, they are usually a waste of time, try out what you have already had with the scope first, then see which way you want to go. On the neutral density filter front, I would recommend the ND96 (0.9) which gives 13% light transmission, it's good for most phases of the Moon.

http://www.amazon.co...52669938&sr=1-3

Steve.

Find out what you need and buy as you go. Kits like this tend not to be of much use, and not of the best quality. Go out and use your scope and you will soon realise what you want.

Just to add my two penny's worth ,

Like other have said don't buy any sort of kit other than maybe the telrad/Rigel star finder for now .

Play with the scope indoors , put it up and take it down , see what happens when knobs are twiddled and see how the scope moves.

It's so much easier than in the dark for the first time .

Grab a book or two , turn left at orions good because it tells you straight about what you will or won't see .

Download a program called stellarium pot the pc , it's free and will help you learn the skies and can tell you what will be up at whatever time you input.

The more practice you get the easier it will be and then you will be able to make informed decisions on upgrades based on your experience plus the huge amount of good hard learned knowledge from the myriads of sound ppl on sgl :)

I wouldn't fall into the common trap of pushing the magnification with this scope. It's the first useful size of newtonian imho but still only 130mm at f-5 with fl=650mm. They state the max useful magnification as 307x but in reality most sizeable scopes achieve cira 180x to 200x in average UK seeing.

Even at 200x the views will be very demanding and will appear grainy and faint lacking clarity due to the small aperture and stater eypieces - and you'll be a slave to the "seeing" conditions. The 6mm with barlow will be useful very rarely and at £50 for the whole kit it won't yield the quality required for a clear sharp view. I found this so with my 130 even at circa 150x which was pushing the highest "practical" mag.

That said it's a fine little scope for viewing the brighter objects and you'll get some lovely (though small'ish) views of nebulae, open/closed clusters, and the gaseous giants - even at lower powers. I'd forget the eypiece kit for now - get going on the supplied one first. You'll eventually want a better quality eyepiece and that alone will be circa £40-£50. Hth :)

Hi steve

I just started early this year getting into astronomy. I now on my 3rd scope and spent a lot on accessories. We I took the opinion that every thing I have been buying was wrong.

It has only taken one time for me to go out with a member of the forums to show me the errors of my way.

I say. The use the stuff you already have and learn to enjoy it. Ask as many questions as you can even if they sound stupid

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

If you can get to any local astronomy groups in your area Steve or possibly if you look on the Social Groups Section in the forum for an observing group close to you - the best thing you could do to start is go along with a pair of binoculars and introduce yourself. You'll see a wide variety of scopes and lens and pick up loads of useful information from the members who from my own experience of starting out fairly recently will be more than happy to share their experiences (and kit for the night) with you - it really is an eye opener and if nothing else will give you something to compare your existing equipment with and find out where you may improve it, if it needs improving at all that is.

good luck though - exiting times ahead.

Hi Steve,

Welcome to SGL and to the wonderful world of Astronomy.

My advice to you would be to get to know the night sky well before trying to upgrade your kit.

Step 1: get a good atlas. I use the Sky & Telescope star atlas and this really helps you to know what you are looking at. If you have an iPad, iPhone or smartphone there are a number of good apps that will map the sky for you.

2: Download and install Stellarium http://www.stellarium.org. This will help to know what time the stars and planets will be above the horizon in your local area.

3: I would also recommend a copy of Turn Left At Orion. This will teach you how to star hop and locate interesting objects which may not be visible with the naked eye or in your finder scope.

4: if your particular area of interest is the moon then get a moon map so you know what you Bottom looking at.

Finally, just enjoy the views. Take your time with each target. Due to the changeable seeing you will get more detail the longer you look and the more your eyes get adapted. If you want to view the moon then you will see the most detail in the terminator (the edge of the shadow) so the best times to view are not when the moon is full but when it is waxing or waning.

Oh, and don't stop asking questions here. There are no shortage of people who will be happy to help.

Clear Skies

Archived