M101 new core.

ollypenrice

Ah... but tonight is the 3rd. But we allow for the weekend? Right. Well I never was that bright, tha' knows. Yes indeed. We don't have it over here. They do fireworks for Bastille day but not around here in July because the place would turn into one big bonfire and we'd all be up in smoke. Yes, I could miss fireworks. Damn, I've gone all nostalgic.

Olly

Nov 5th being a school night it seems like most people are doing them tonight or tomorrow. We don't get that many around here because, well, sheep and cows have trouble getting them lit, I think. One just did go off somewhere far enough away that it wasn't audible, but it still lit up the entire sky. We might do a few on Monday. At least if it's clear I can take the laser pointer out and introduce the children to a few more constellations.

James

Brilliant job, Olly. The detail is amazing.

Anything you'd like to share about your new processing ideas?

Adrian

Thanks. It's a mixture of things, starting with a separate and careful core stretch. I used some ultra aggressive contrast boosts for the very inner core, which you can get away with in view of the strong signal and many hours of data. I'm trying to bring it all together in a coherent package to show people but the principle seems to be to hammer the small local contrasts by chipping away with micro curves. It does take a long time. Someone may have a more efficient method, I don't doubt. Adam Block seems to know what he's doing but check out the size of his telescope! He's made the spirals move seamlessly right into the core, which is the holy grail. http://apod.nasa.gov...1_block_big.jpg If he used multiple stretches it certainly doesn't show!

Olly

Oh, for the time and energy to join the dark side... When I have both of those and clear skies I tend to like staring through the eyepiece, but your quality pics do make me sorely tempted Olly. Perhaps it's best that I stick to visual and ogle your pics, that way you get the frustrations and I just have to remember to swallow my drink before letting my jaw drop open...

Rambling tangents aside, thanks for another lovely shot Olly and, should it mean anything from an imaging tourist like myself, well done :)

Archived