Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Debayering a DSLR's Bayer matrix.

RAC

Ok, I'm happy to inform you guys that I have a fully working and exceptionally flat field full frame Nikon D800am (astromono;) on my desk. Flat field because the sensor is absolutely flawless.

And in additionally there is the same type D600am, yep I'm using that "am" on both of them to create confusion to model D810a ;)

Process was very difficult and I struggled with the cover glass removal even though the micro CNC was used. I found out that that there really is no guarantee with that method either and it resulted one dead D800 sensor :( But the other one is success :)

Cameras.jpg

Left reads D800 and right one D600

Excellent work!!!

What process did you use to remove the CFA from the sensor?

It was machined off as well, but with low rev polishing tool instead of cutting tool and only with few grams of pressure.

It took forever, but the most gentle approach is the best I think.

Now done - Two cameras that have caused me insane amount of trouble and gray hair, and they still think they're normal ;)

Cameras_2.jpg

D800am on the left and D600am right, tape is there just to prevent view finder catching stray light.

Do I need or even have enough time to use them both?, probably I won't :(

Thanks Gina. It seems to work quite nice.

I need to check the sensor alignment though. Right hand side image border is slightly softer than the left one if pixels are peeped. It may be a lens issue too, but just to make sure. Hmmm., right side of the image comes from left side of the sensor when looked from behind...

NikonD800_1200.jpg

http://www.kuulapaa.com/D800/NikonD800.jpg

Edited by Herra Kuulapaa
  • Like 1

Guys

I have just debayered a canon 450d camera works fine but when I take an image all I get is a black photo, I get no error messages and the images will download, when I look into the properties of the images they contain 1.8mb so it looks like the computer is seeing something. Do I have to change any setting on the camera or is the sensor not working?

Rick

John

Are you saying if the sensor is broke then I wouldn't received any date?

Rick

It's difficult to say, I've had cameras that have shown an all white image as well as all black but no real image. If you check all the ribbon cables are properly in their sockets then it may well be the sensor is bad.

Guys

I polish the Bayer matrix of with jewellers rouge, I didn't apply any heat to the sensor glass but i using a small modelling knife under the edge under the end where there no wires. Just lifting slightly the bond released, should the sensor have a gold colour once the debayer matrix is removed or do I have to go deeper?

Rick

Prising the glass off worked with earlier Canon models for me but I had no joy with later (suitable for astro) models.  I regret to say that this project has defeated me :(  And I don't get defeated very easily!

Edited by Gina
  • Like 1

I decided I'd give this a go and join the group of individuals who strive to do the exact opposite of what your brain tells you not to do. That is... touch the sensor of this Canon 20D.

The sensor glass has been removed in one piece, all gold connectors are firmly attached, and no heat was needed. Just lots of time and care with a sharp blade.

7PsQztc.jpg?1

It will be a while until I attempt to debayer this sensor though. I want to make sure I have the time to do it properly.

I'm not sure what to do about the glass either. I have read that there are better options out there than returning the original glass.

• Like 2

Well done, I'm really streering away from the heating solutions too, at least when working with Nikon  :)

Just be careful with the bonding wires and microwiring on the edges and you should be fine.

Here is a test comparison between D800am and D600am (am stands for astromono:)

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/250891-nikon-d600-monochrome-images/page-2#entry2775253

• 3 weeks later...

I've been watching this topic for a while (more than 6 months by now and red all of it) and finaly tried it myself. There was malfunctioning Sony Nex 5 laying in several pieces around (I don't know what I did to it, at the same time I dropped the sensor and possibly shorted main PCB...).

Removing cover glass was a pain (not just because of screwdriver stacked in my finger....), at the begining I mostly chipped of edges of the glass, after some time I finaly learned how to and where apply heat with soldering iron. Glass got broken in several pieces but wires are intact as far as I can tell (more hidden compared to Canon sensors). I believe once done properly glass might go of in one piece. Heat worked well.

I scraped matrix with wooden needle. That went well, just once I missed and scraped that yellow "no go" zone. When the sensor was quite clean I washed it with white spirit (red is useless), there was still some dirt left but as I didn't expect anything but failure I dissassambled at that time still working Nex 5 and replaced the sensor. Well, it endeed was broken, but not completelly. Image was shaking and filling just top part of the screen and slowly moved downward later, exposure was possible but camera froze and nothing got saved on the card. So I examined the sensor with manual focus (enlarged screeen up to 14x) and there were some "scratches" but seemed to be possitive scratches made of bayer matrix, not scratched exactly. And some spots of nondebayered surface.

When switching sensors I managed to brake one lock on FFC connector but still works with normal sensor.

Even though I have almost dead sensor lying on the table after 5 hours of work I'm optimistic. I feel lucky next time.

The issue usually is that even though the sensor remains at least partially working, the data processing part cannot cope with missing bits or wrong form of data (dark sensor segments).

I encourage you to continue. A fully working monochrome DSLR is a very good astrophotography tool :)

Please post some images of the sensor.

Nex 5, at the bottom left edge is some broken glass so as in some other places. Wires are all over but only here accessible. I see now I went over the edge in several strokes and there are some scratches in the center. And leftovers all over but that didn't go of with white spirit = have to loosen everything with scraper before washing next time, or use other solvent.

I made a mistake at the begining by scratching away epoxy along the glass. Epoxy is thermaly conductive, at least more than glass or sensor casing.

post-40438-0-92299800-1445673839_thumb.j