Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Debayering a DSLR's Bayer matrix.

RAC

Got one camera working - the one that had the shutter problem - by sticking an SD card in it.  The other camera is not reading the lock slider and reports the card as locked when it isn't.  I'm sure I didn't need an SD card in the camera before and needing one could be avoided but as i said I can't remember how.

So ATM I have one camera taking astro type images though not of the sky.  Whether that shutter will go wrong again remains to be seen but it's working perfectly ATM.  I ran a test sequence from 1/50th to 10s exposures and various ISO values.

Been looking at my threads dealing with 1100D and other EOS models modified for astro mono use and I didn't use the SD card at all so I definitely don't need the SD card.  OK so I wasn't using ATP for the mono DSLRs but I feel sure I did for cooled only versions which also used an absolute minimum of the camera parts.

The other 1100D has arrived now - with broken SD card connector (don't want SD card for astro use :)) and otherwise it all seems to work.  Live view shows that the sensor is fine and the shutter works :)  Looks like I have two 1100Ds that are alright for astro use though I won't be absolutely sure until test from computer with low light. 

Now if I were to manage to buy yet another so called non-working 1100D that's astro capable AND then I succeed in debayering all three sensors I would have a triple imaging rig :D  Now is that optimism OR IS THAT OPTIMISM!!  :D  Also, assuming that I don't damage something else in the astro conversions, of course :grin:

I like your brand of optimism Gina - nothing to fear but fear itself, go for it. :smiley:

• Like 1

Yers :D

The relevant page in the DSLR stripping thread is  #38

While I had it partly stripped down I noticed something else that could be removed - the SD card holder - so I disconnected it, reassembled and tested and no problem - tried 1/4000s and 2s.  So I've removed the SD card holder & PCB.  Three screws in addition to the ribbon cable.  The ribbon was secured to the frame with a piece of adhesive tape (blue).  I tucked the ribbon cable out of the way.

Edited by Gina

Found the problem with the SD card - I was using the wrong software :grin:   All works fine using the Canon EOS Utility - both cameras working fine :)  Tomorrow I'll do some "astronomising" - stripping down one of the cameras and removing the filters to start with and then taking another look at removing the cover glass and debayering.

Gina, apt works fine here without a memory card, but i use a 700d .

maybe the 1100d needs it with the app? Also, the save to option is set to computer and camera(something like these words)? I leave it with that option or pc only and works fine.

I wish you success with debayering your new cameras, this a thread i follow with very interest.

• Like 1

While sorting through my immense collection of "stuff" I've found an 1100D already stripped down to the bare bones.  I took the main board off and the sensor assembly and the sensor itself is untouched.  So I put it back together and tested it with EOS Utility and it's working AFAICT without a lens and with gaps all round the sides letting the light in.  At least with ISO set to 100 and 1/4000th exposure I get a nice graduated pink picture.  The only fly in the ointment is that I didn't turn off image rotation previously but I may be able to plug in a camera back unit and use the menu to put that right.  (Just thought of that as I was typing :D)

A bit later...  Done it :)  Connected camera back (tricky job to get at the connectors and get the ribbon cables in), ran menu and set image rotation from ON to OFF :)

Edited by Gina

Been looking through my drawer of 1100D parts and in the bottom I found a sensor less cover glass (except for one little bit remaining in one corner) but not debayered.  The sensor has a couple of scratches so maybe it's duff but all the gold wires are intact so I'll bung it in a camera tomorrow and see what's what.  I'm pretty sure is from an 1100D.

I've also got a 450D coming that's suffered a broken mirror so something else to have a go at.  I found 450D sensors much easier to use for mono that 1100D.  Just very slightly poorer astro performance but much better than earlier models.

That sensor I found in the bottom of the drawer is duff.  Below is the sort of image I get.  I guess the result of the scratches.  Could be useful for practising debayering before I tackle a working sensor :D

post-13131-0-52762000-1448279263_thumb.j

Edited by Gina

Also found a camera that I had been using for colour astro that had had a coldfinger.  The sensor was without cover glass, all gold wires intact but gave no image - just all black and Err70.  So thats another candidate for playing with scratching off the colour filters :D  I guess I must have cooked that one as there was no apparent damage.

Edited by Gina

Won a non-working 450D on ebay auctions - broken mirror - came yesterday and been stripping it down this morning.  Did a test first and though there were encouraging noises, there was no image.  Slightly anxiously, I stripped the camera down to look at the sensor and to make the shutter visible from the back - the blades were caught up and rather bent and buckled but I was able to dislodge and get the blades back into their slots.  Shutter not working would produce a black image so I partly reassembled and tested again with EOS Utility.  Success - all working :)  Image sensor seems fine.  I didn't think mirror and shutter damage would be likely to affect the sensor as the damage didn't look bad enough.  And I was right - PHEW :)  So I shall be having a got at debayering with this camera.

Edited by Gina
  • Like 2

That is normal if you take the IR cut filter out without replacing it.

You either need to put another piece of glass in its place or move the sensor closer to the lens if you want to use normal camera lenses at infinity focus.

/Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Against all warnings I decided to buy a Daystar Quark, yes the winter is coming, and plan is to use it with monochrome Nikon D5100. I didn't have such camera anymore though so I bought a slightly used one with serial 67188xx.

I have mentioned here before that manufacturing line seems to have used at least two different types/batches of cover glass resin; hard to remove and even harder stuff. This camera was done with the latter and damn it gave me a good fight. I wasn't able to get all the pieces off, so eventually I decided to leave one shard there. It's only located on the sensor frame without reaching on pixel surface so I figured it makes no sense to risk it.