Not really a new member, but....

buckie bill

Hello, I have been a member for about a year but for various reasons have not been very active, in fact I've not been active at all.

I've just bought a Meade etx125 but carelessly did not ensure that a tripod was included in the deal. I'm still happy with the price I paid, but would assume that although the Alt / Az base appears stable, it is obviously impractical to try and operate in this manner.

Would it be possible to modify a mount or should I bite the bullet and try to source a used field tripod?

Sorry for the apparent naive approach, but that's what it is.

:huh: BCK Bill :huh:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Bill welcome again, if you can devise a fixing method for the ETX base unit, you can use such as a s/h surveyors tripod, that will provide a very sturdy mounting, or a CG5 tripod etc, they do crop up from time to time, otherwise you had best try and source a Meade field tripod. Have a look at Weasner`s Mighty ETX USA web site, there maybe some information on alternative mountings for these range of scopes :)

John.

Thanks to everybody for the good wishes and advice. I guess it's more expense then. That'll teach me to be more aware in future, when I'm considering a purchase!

They never said it would be like this, oh I suppose they did!! :cool:

Archived