Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Free reign on suggestions on my next scope...

I am looking to upgrade (at last) from a low quality (4.5" f7.9) newtonian (think rickety mass produced). I have a scope in mind, but am looking to challenge my thinking to see if anyone can come up with anything I haven't thought of.

Here are the basics:

0) I will be trying out a few scopes before I buy (at local AS probably)

1) Max price £300

2) For visual observing. i am not looking to get into astrophotography in the foreseeable future.

3) Ideally something that will give a bit of versatility with regards to both planetary and DSO observing.

4) Will be stored in the garage, and portability is not really an issue, except if I do want to take it anywhere it should fit in an estate car (given my budget, I don't think this will be a problem!)

So, as I said, I have a scope in mind, but won't reveal this yet as I want a good neutral set of suggestions from the knowledgeable bods on SGL :)

Thanks in advance.

Over to you...

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I think you've just written an advert for the 200p right there...

Yep - I have to agree. The Skywatcher 200P dobsonian would tick all the boxes. :smiley:

If this is not the scope you have in mind, I'll be interested to see what it is !

I'd have to agree. Looks like the 200p just about ticks all the right boxes.

If I recall correctly, for the price you're aiming for the best reflector would probably be the 200p, the best refractor would probably be the Tal 100rs, the best maksutov would probably be the Skywatcher 127.

Budget also for those first 'hidden' extras; you'll need a collimating tool for the newt, you'll probably want a couple of new EPs after th efirst month of viewing, perhaps you'll fancy a finder like a Telrad, star atlas and so on.

And, drum roll please. The telescope I did indeed have in mind, after much time deliberating is the Skywatcher 200p Dobsonian.

I considered a few others along the way, as well as EQ mounts, as this is what I currently have. But after much consideration realised I didn't need that with my requirements, and could get more scope for my buck with a Dob mounting.

Thankyou for all the comments, now to just check out a few in the flesh so to speak and break out the credit card if all appears in order!

Just to add my 2 cents:

As everyone above has said.....................i think the scope you want/need is the 200P (Dob).

WOW. I dont think i have ever seen a thread on here where every single reply agreed on the same scope. It must be because you clearly stated your needs etc without any doubt in your mind. It was very concise and to the point.

Given those facts, there really is no other scope for you.

Well done. Most people asking the same question end up getting information overload about different scopes and mounts etc.

@LukeSkywatcher Thanks, having been a reader of these forums for quite a while, I learnt that there are far too many people who ask the equivalent of "I want a telescope for stuff, what should I get?" These are of course met with a barrage of questions back asking what 'stuff' is!

I was however surprised at the consistency of replies!

@LukeSkywatcher Thanks, having been a reader of these forums for quite a while, I learnt that there are far too many people who ask the equivalent of "I want a telescope for stuff, what should I get?" These are of course met with a barrage of questions back asking what 'stuff' is!

I was however surprised at the consistency of replies!

The main question members here ask when they are asked about what scope someone should buy is "what is your budget?". Without knowing this, its a bit impossible to advise someone on what scope they should buy. Also many people are not sure if they want to do imaging at any stage in the future. This leaves the suggestions of the right scope for them,very open.

You came in with 4 things you are looking for in a scope. You made it clear that you want this and dont want that and your budget is £xxx.

You pretty much described in a nutshell the 200P Dob. I think thats why we all agreed on it, simply because there is no other scope out there that fits your wants/needs.

All 13-14 replies (without question) suggested the 200P.

Never seen that here before.

You did your homework and just wanted to see what the general consensus was before buying.

Nice one!!!!

From what i have read about it, you are going to LOVE it.

Enjoy.

Paul

Go for the Sky-Watcher Skyliner 200P dob! It's a great scope and so far I've had great views and no transportation issues. It's very comfortable to observe with, but it's a slight pain in the neck to use the finder scope. Still, I love mine! :)

They come up on the classifieds every now and then so I'd start there :bino2:

Hi Aronnax,

I an new here but I was given some great advice from Dan. My Question was basically same as yours with same basic criteria: Here is Dans recommendation:

Hello Jeriah,

I use a lot of Orion equipment (I'm and astronomy instructor), and I have 12 Orion dobsonians in service. The 8" is a super scope and will serve you well for years. These scopes are exactly what my students all learn astronomy on - I recommend them highly. You will find them rugged, easy to set up and use and the views are fantastic - especially for the price you pay.

Dan

If I recall correctly, for the price you're aiming for the best reflector would probably be the 200p, the best refractor would probably be the Tal 100rs, the best maksutov would probably be the Skywatcher 127.

Would you get a TAL 100RS _and_ mount in that budget? Might get an Evostar 102 but as the TAL OTA costs £250 that leaves very little for a mount.

Archived